In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Mauser

shooteroneshooterone Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Yes I have a 1909 straight bolt German Mauser. It's a long rifle and in very good condition. Has all the German markings for that Ara on it. Was wondering if anyone could estimate what it might be wroth. Any help I would be very grateful for. Thanks

Comments

• shooteroneshooterone Member Posts: 139 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i have a 1942 husqavqrna swedish mauser 6.55x55 the bore and rifle is in near mint condition the handle on the bolt is curved along the side of the rifle it has matching numbers looking for an approximate value thank you john
    edited November -1
    Is it a large ring or small?
    I own a yugo 47/24 8mm & having a lot of trouble with parts etc..
    Can some one set me straight on the action size , the trigger guard on this make is 7 3/4 not 7 7/8 or give a book that will help me!
    Thanx, Hoss[B)]
    edited November -1
    I have a Mauser that has been converted to a 30/06.
    I slugged the barrel and the .308 slug barely seems to catch the rifling, could this be because someone only rechambered it?
    Should I have it rebarreled?
    edited November -1
    hello everyone! I have a question regaurding mausers. How do you tell a M98 apart from a M96? and a large ring from a small ring? thanks for helping out a Noob![:D]
    edited November -1
    Just wanted to thanks for all the info, what a great site.there was just one other thing....$ ?
    edited November -1
    What is your opinoun of the mauser 7mm or 8mm as a dependale rifle?
    what kind of price would I expect to pay for one in good condition?any other suggestion's in the same prce range? The game Im intrested in is deer, and elk.

JIM FRICK
    edited November -1
    I need info on mauser bauer 71e over under shotgun.Like the years they were produced and what they maybe worth.
    edited November -1
    I am thinking of buying a military Mauser for shooting. I know very little of those rifles but I think I would like to have a Yugoslavian M48 or M24/47. The reason I picked those models is because I heard there are plenty around in excellent condition and the prices are still fairly low. Any comments on those. Thanks
    edited November -1
    I have a mauser i have had for a long time. i made it a custom gun .at the time i thought it was a 7mm. but come to find out it is not. 7mm is just a hair small in diameter.on top the gun on the chamber it is stamed as follows fabricadearmus oviedo 1932. Could someone maybe help me in finding the correct round for this gun.. Thanks Tony
    edited November -1
    i have a mauser f3648 modelo argentino 1891 manufactuer loewe berlin, just wondering what the value would be, it was handed down from my grandfather...thanks
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You may also want to check out the Swedish Mausers.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    both excellent rifles, with the edge to the 24/47. the ones I've seen are just a little better in machining.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Go with the M 48, it would more likely to be in better less used condition, they were made by the Yugo's as new production in their arsenal after the war. The 24/47's were reworked refurbished rifles originally made prior to the Second World War, some were early Belgian contract rifles from the 20's.
  • ENBLOCENBLOC Member Posts: 327 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    SOG International has Czech VZ-24's in 7mm in Good Condition for $169 or buy two at $159 made prior to WWII. If you can find a Mauser that wasn't used in any war its in far better shape. I like the Argentine Sporters out there. Bores, stocks, finish usually really good shape. The Swedes are good too, but prices have gone up.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by shooterone
    I am thinking of buying a military Mauser for shooting. I know very little of those rifles but I think I would like to have a Yugoslavian M48 or M24/47. The reason I picked those models is because I heard there are plenty around in excellent condition and the prices are still fairly low. Any comments on those. Thanks

Yup, you're exactly right. These can still be had in excellent condition for under $200. Buy one. [;)]

Whether the M48s or 24/47s are better is debatable.

After the war was over with the rise of Communism, the quality of worksmanship in the Commie-bloc countries started to go downhill.

Remember that old chestnut about labor in Commie countries "They pretend to pay us, and we pretend to work".

Later manufacture M48s (these were made from the late 1940s all the way into the mid-1960s, IIRC) are going to be more common, but probably NOT quite as smooth or well put together as the pre-war M24-47s.

On the other hand, the M48s are going to have bent bolts, making standard-mounting of a scope (should you want to do that) possible.

The 24/47s will mostly have straight bolts (there are a few rare bent bolt ones floating around). If you want to mount a scope in normal position, you'll have to get the bolt bent, something that might run you around $50.

Swedish Mauser? Great guns, prices are now at least a couple hundred (eg $500+) and take the Swedish round rather than cheap and common 8mm surplus. Probably not your cup of tea.

Czech Mausers are good, but 7mm ammo isn't as cheap nor plentiful as 8mm. If you want one in 8mm, there are still some to be had.

For example, Aim Surplus has some reconditioned 8mm Czech Mausers for around $210. Those could be good.