In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

old remington revolver converted?

1shotcleaner1shotcleaner Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
my pop called me about an old revolver it has a removable plate on the back of the clynder. black grips the triger is enclosed it has an octagon barel and the clynder removes with a pin.the overall length is about 5 inches and it appers to be a 32 rimfire. it says riders pt aug 17 1858 may 9 1859 stamped on top of the barrel also it says mfg by remingtons ililon ny sn#8453 sorry i cant get a picture as my pop dosent use computers

Comments

• perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,105 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    google Remington Rider and see if your pistol looks like the same thing or take pictures of your's and post here
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Remington-Rider_engraved_5sec_box_7.jpg

From your description it appears to be the later version of the Remington Rider Pocket Revolver. Similar to this photo but with a cylinder converted to fire 32 rimfire metallic cartridges. 2000 made between the 60's & 70's. Value with depend on factory originality and cosmetic condition.
  • 1shotcleaner1shotcleaner Member Posts: 37 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    thanks for the replies it appers as it is a remake then,right? with all of the info stamped on the barrel it looks very simmler to the one posted but the cylnder is diffrent.
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 1shotcleaner
    thanks for the replies it appers as it is a remake then,right? with all of the info stamped on the barrel it looks very simmler to the one posted but the cylnder is diffrent.

The one in the photo is the early version which was called a percussion revolver, it has a different cylinder. The one your Father called you about is the later version that takes rimfire cartridges. This has the plate on the back.
  • hrfhrf Member Posts: 857 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    See page 161 of Flayderman's Guide for descriptions and values. Those with removable plate were factory conversions, at first provided with interchangeble percussion and cartridge cylinders. Later examples for cartridge only are serial numbered on frame in front of trigger.