In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

reloaded 350 rem mag ammo

liljakeliljake Member Posts: 29 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I am looking to have some 350 rem mag ammo reloaded by my hunting buddy. I have been considering Hornady's 200 gr spire points. This gun will strictly be used for whitetails and the ocassional hog or two. I am just looking for another opinion on this bullets performance. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I load 59 gr. of H4895 with that bullet and it averages 2730 FPS from my Ruger flat bolt. Four 5-shot groups averaged an inch and a quarter. I only shot one deer with it but it did real well on that one.
  • wilmamaewilmamae Member Posts: 80 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like the 225 Nosler. Have worked up to a max book load of IMR 4320 for about 2650 fps. Shoots well in four different rifles.
  • navlav8rnavlav8r Member Posts: 47 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used the 200 Hornady, the 225 Nosler Partition and the 225 Sierra in a 350 Mag and a 35 Whelen. All three work VERY well on deer. I shot a 185 lb. buck with the 200 Hornady several years ago and enroute to the deer, the bullet went through a 1" vine and proceeded to punch through the ball of the shoulder on the near side,ribs going in and out and the shoulder blade on the opposite side. I found it under the skin on the opposite side. When I walked up to the deer, I couldn't figure out why the entrance hole was over an inch wide. I looked around and finally found the center-punched grape vine that I hadn't seen a few feet in front of where the deer had been walking. The usual result is either a deer down on the spot or a blood trail that looks like it was put down with a garden hose for about 40 yds.
  • FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree that the 200-gr. Hornady spire point will hammer deer at .350 Rem Mag velocities (although I shoot it from a .35 Whelen). In fact, in my opinion it hammers them too hard; I hit a deer a little high, and it tore a 3" section out of the spinal column. So I don't drive it that fast any more.

now I use it in a .35 Remington bolt action, where the performance suits me just fine. I haven't searched around for a different 200-gr. bullet to use at 2750 fps.
  • AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    FWAddit: Just curious--which .35 Remington bolt gun do you have. I have a Remington 600 and one of the old Remington model 30's in that chambering.
  • FWAdditFWAddit Member Posts: 918 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Ambrose
    FWAddit: Just curious--which .35 Remington bolt gun do you have. I have a Remington 600 and one of the old Remington model 30's in that chambering.

Hey, congratulations on those models! Mine is a rebarreled Model 93 Mauser.