In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

unable to locate

renee mccallrenee mccall Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Renee back gentlemen, Since I last was on I have received the digest as you suggested and a fellow member that has given me much assistance. Thank you very much. Time places the factor on how I can assist my husband in re-cataloging his firearms however with all that I have now in knowledge I still can not find any information on the following. I will discribe as I see the rifle ( sorry no pictures yet to attach). I see it to say W.H.James (could be W.N.James) 12 ga double barrel, rabbit ear rifle. Opening the barrels under the left barrel are the numbers 26030, under the rt. is 7 . Under each barrel is )-(( kinda of a thing, the straight line goes thru the curved lines. It is a 30" long barrel, and says Warrented London Twist Fine between the barrels. I would say verygood+ condition. Anyone knows what my husband has?

Comments

• GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Has about 200 +or- wall hanger.
  • renee mccallrenee mccall Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mm8nambu
    With the only thing found that it could be a belguim rifle, where did you find this info? thanks
  • renee mccallrenee mccall Member Posts: 11 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by renee mccall
    quote:Originally posted by mm8nambu
    With the only thing found that it could be a belguim rifle, where did you find this info? thanks
    Well this kinda hurts my feelings, I thought that rabbit ears
    where hard to find. If new info please email me.Have a good night gentlemen.....:)
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    by rabbit ears you mean external hammers? Remove the forarm and look at the watertable, for ELG in a oval. If there it is Belgian. That drops the value. with external hammers, it is most likely that it shot black powder shells of a length differen from modern shells, and without seeing photos, I would agree it is a wall hanger and of modest value. Demand creates value, not age or even scarcity, and there is little demand for external hammer shotguns except as decorations. Got a fine one myself.
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Renee,

For some reason, older external hammer shotguns seemed to not have gained in value like other shotguns. My 1882 ,that my great grandfather bought new, isn't worth what it used to be. Even though I fired it as a teen in the 70's, I don't and wouldn't recommend it be shot anymore.

Also, by wallhangar, I don't think 8mmnambu, meant it not have any significance. Just that it shouldn't be shot anymore. And, it would make a very nice display on your, or someone elses, wall.
  • GuvamintCheeseGuvamintCheese Member Posts: 38,932
    edited November -1
    Once a gun becomes so outdated that it is no longer considered safe they call them wall hangers. The older guns with weaker steel that used the low pressure black powder have become less collectible because you really should not shoot them with todays ammo. I know this is not what you want to hear but it just the way it is. Also guns not made here in America have less collector value to American Collectors.