In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

M98 Safari??

ECO-DAVEECO-DAVE Member Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking at a rifle in 300 mag and all it says in M98 Safari. It had a flat top reciever and i can't find any info on the rifle. Can anyone help with info on this rifle??
Thanks

Comments

• stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the more knowledgeable members will be able to help you, and especially if you can post pictures and provide more information.

There are many questions to be asked and answered, but the "M98" designation almost certainly means a Mauser Model 98. However, this may be an old military Mauser action, or a newer manufactured one by Mauser, or by a host of other manufacturers that used the design after WWII.

Does the rifle appear to be at least 30 or 40 years old, or does it appear to be newer?

Is there any more information on the cartridge beyond "300 Magnum"? This could be a 300 H & H, a 300 Winchester Magnum, or others. You would need to know this before you fire it, and could have a significant bearing on the value of the rifle. There were numerous older custom Safari rifles chambered in 300 H & H Magnum, but more recent rifles would likely be 300 Winchester Magnum, 300 Weatherby, or others.

Many old Mauser actions were used to make custom rifles, and the Mauser actions were coveted for "Safari" configurations and uses because they had "controlled round feed", foolproof reliability, and proven functioning. These are highly sought after features by many dangerous game hunters.

I looked on the Mauser company's website, and they do not currently offer a "Safari" model, but they now offer an "Africa" model. It is possible that a "Safari" was made in the past.

However, I would say it is more likely that you have a custom made rifle using either an old M98 action, or a newer manufactured one. Again, others more knowledgeable than me will likely respond to your inquiry.

Where is the "M98 Safari" stamped, on the action or on the barrel? The cartridge designation should be stamped into the barrel, and if it is a custom rifle, it is almost certain that it has been rebarreled with a custom barrel. Someone may correct me on this, but I do not believe that any of the original military rifles were .308 caliber.

It is probably a nice rifle.
  • Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by stevecrea
    Someone may correct me on this, but I do not believe that any of the original military rifles were .308 caliber.
    It is probably a nice rifle.

Peru (and others?) used M98's factory chambered in 30-06 (Argentina converted their 7.65's into 30-06 by simply rechambering and letting the bullet "slug up" the couple thousanths)
  • ECO-DAVEECO-DAVE Member Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    i was told it may have been imported by legacy sports. I do not have a pic ...sorry
  • sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ECO-Dave,

What kind of price are they asking? The rifle you describe sounds like a double square bridge M-98 produced in the '90's. Those are worth a couple grand. To buy one new is over ten. I was all set to buy one back when Rheinmetall owned the rights to the name and they were 1600. Then it up and changed hands (sold to Sig-Sauer) and the price skyrocketed. I settled for a custom Mauser of my own.

Heres the site for modern Mausers. You might see the one you were looking at on the front page:

http://www.mauserwaffen.de/index.php?id=home&L=1

Edit:

Does it have the Mauser 'football' on the receiver anywhere?
  • HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The cartridge designation .300 Magnum dates the rifle from the days when there was only one .300 Magnum, the .300 H & H Magnum, thus it was not necessary to designate exactly what .300 Magnum it was chambered for.
  • stevecreastevecrea Member Posts: 486 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ECO-Dave:

There is also some good history of Mausers provided at Wikipedia.com. I tried "Mauser" and "Mauser M 98", and each of those terms turns up some history that may be useful and relevant to you.

If it was imported by Legacy Sports that may be inscribed on the barrel. I remember that Sakos imported by Stoeger had that name inscribed on the barrel.

I would agree with Herschel in the above post. For a period of time, including the 1950s or so, the only "300 Magnum" was the H & H (Holland & Holland), and it was quite prevalent as an African or Safari cartridge.
  • MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 10,022 ******
    edited November -1
    I recently inspected a similar rifle made by parker hale (on the barrel and 'safari' on the reciver.