In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

S&W 629 - fluted or non fluted cylinder?

JohnnyuhoJohnnyuho Member Posts: 35 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
I'm looking to purchase a S&W model 629 44 mag 4" barrel for a back up pistol when I go bear hunting. I will be using hot magnum loads with 300 grain bullets. 2 questions: The mountain gun vs. the classic? Is there any benefit to a fluted cylinder to a non fluted cylinder?

Thanks,

Comments

• beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Apart from the appearance, the fluted cylinder is a teensy bit lighter (I'm guessing 1-2 ounces lighter. . .I don't have the specs).

That means a hair less carry weight, a hair MORE recoil/flip, and a hair less rotational inertia in turning the cylinder.

Is this really a big difference? No. I think any of them could work for your role.

On "Mountain" vs "Classic", I think the Mountain is pre-drilled and tapped for a scope mount, and has all black sights. The "Classic" has white outline rear and red insert front.

The Mountain also has a tapered barrel making it about two ounces lighter than the classic and slightly changing the balance.

If you're going for a defensive/backup gun, I'd say all else being equal lighter is better.

Personally, I like the colored front sight and a white -outline rear sight, but you can always add those things later. Painting your front sight red (or orange/yellow/whatever) is particularly easy with a bit of nail polish or other enamel paint.