In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Model 12 & Citori questions

asickberasickber Member Posts: 148 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Stopped by a local gunshop today and found two that I'm interested in. One is a Model 12 that's marked US on the receiver. I've only seen that on Riot guns, but this one is a long barrel that I don't think is original. It's in fairly good shape for $500. Question is what's the US mark for?

Also found a Browning Citori (Japan) for $575. It's a little knicked up but not in terrible shape. No screw in chokes. Seems like a decent deal to me but I'm not familiar with these. Good deal?

Comments

• Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,378 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Just speculating but "a long barrel that I don't think is original." may be the key. It is hard to imagine now, but once upon a time, a US Model 12 Riot was just a surplus gun to be sold cheap and it was not unusual to put on a long barrel for hunting.
  • Winchester 1912Winchester 1912 Member Posts: 528 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The military also used Model 12s as training weapons. The long barrel could be legitimate. I'm sure you'll get more on this topic.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by asickber
    Stopped by a local gunshop today and found two that I'm interested in. One is a Model 12 that's marked US on the receiver. I've only seen that on Riot guns, but this one is a long barrel that I don't think is original. It's in fairly good shape for $500. Question is what's the US mark for?

Also found a Browning Citori (Japan) for $575. It's a little knicked up but not in terrible shape. No screw in chokes. Seems like a decent deal to me but I'm not familiar with these. Good deal?

The Browning Citori is a fantastic shotgun that will shoot itself tighter over time. The swing is natural, they are real easy to shoot well. As long as it does not have salt wood it should be a great shotgun.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No salt wood from Japan. Check the serial numbers on the model 12. Reciever and barrel should be the same.