In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Need help identifying winchester

bezdomnybezdomny Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Just picked this one up. Winchester 1897 12GA. Has 24" FULL choke barrel which I find no mention of. Does not look to be cut down & I measured muzzle diameter - .694 - Serial # 4574xx. Matching serials. Takedown model. Also marking on right side of receiver 9 MAX . Could this be an early riot-gun? (The recoil pad looks to have been added)

JLS000_00082-1.jpg?t=1263686361000_0009.jpg?t=1263686420000_0011.jpg?t=1263686467

Comments

• bezdomnybezdomny Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    My uncle recently passed away and left me with his Winchester rifle. I don't know too much about guns, but I think it's a Winchester model 70 with a custom (carbon fiber?) stock. If anyone could help me identify it and find out how much it's worth I'd very much appreciate it. Here are some pictures:

dEfLo.jpg

qSjdn.jpg

qVqtZ.jpg

wn9tX.jpg

vHIKY.jpg

HMNye.jpg

GvbtZ.jpg

9NaL2.jpg

Thanks.

Adam
  • rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    It dates to 1975. I don't believe that original Winchester Co. made rifles with plated finishes and carbon fiber stocks, at that time. If the finish and stock are aftermarket work, it would affect the value of the rifle somewhat, i.e. strictly as a rifle for hunting. Caliber and bore condition would also affect it's value as a hunting rifle.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Left side of the barrel near the action the maker, model and caliber should be engraved.
  • JustCJustC Member Posts: 16,056 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    what is stamped in the recoil pad??

as He Dog stated, post pics of the caliber designation stampings on the barrel
  • bezdomnybezdomny Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by JustC
    what is stamped in the recoil pad??

as He Dog stated, post pics of the caliber designation stampings on the barrel

The recoil pad says made by Pachmayr. As for caliber stampings- I don't see any unless they're hidden by the stock. I tried taking off the stock, but after removing the screws I still couldn't get it to budge. I almost think it's glued on there. However, the caliber must be .270 because it was with boxes of High Velocity Remington 270 Win. cartridges.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    No manufacturer, model or caliber markings are pretty much a dead give away for either a rebarrel (and maybe caliber change) or a custom rifle put together from an action and after market parts.

Even so, it is rare for a smith not to at least put the caliber on the barrel as a matter of safety and avoiding law suits.
  • yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 946 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Looks like it might have been bead-blasted at one time, by the small rust spots. Keep it oiled up to prevent any further rust.
  • longspur riderlongspur rider Member Posts: 2,620 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree on the bead blasting. My first thought when I seen the pictures.