In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Browning A-5 serial numbers??

valhalla ssvalhalla ss Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone know what year Browning stopped matching the serial numbers on the barrels to the rest of the gun? I'm specifiaclly interested in A-5's and just bought a 1959 Sweet 16 and the barrel number doesn't match the receiver number and I'm a little worried!!

Comments

• Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I am not 100% sure of this answer, but I believe that it was pre-WW II. My 1960 Light Twenty A5 (which was purchased new) has a non-matching serial number on the barrel. I highly suspect that your 1959 Sweet Sixteen is correct with non-matching serial numbers as well.
  • asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Must have been after 1939. My 16 has matching.
  • GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe it was in the 50s...So a 59 would be correct with non matching. I had a light 20 made in the 60s that did not match numbers. Before I knew that that was correct after some research, I about crapped my pants when I saw they didn't match.[B)][:I]nambu
  • MichibayMichibay Member Posts: 816 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    About six months ago I purchased a Sweet 16 made in 1958. Mine does not match either and I got worried and called Browning. They said: "After 1953 their numbers did not match"! So...DON'T WORRY!!!!