In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

kimber 1911 which series

midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
i found a used ultra covert II for a decent price. i know it's not a series 2 because it has an internal extractor. how can i tell the difference between series 1 and series 3?

Comments

• dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The first series didn't have the firing pin block, that the II has.
    There is no series 3. They are still making the II.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok then i'm confused. i thought they originally did not come with night sights and had an internal extractor. then changed to external extractor. then changed back to internal extractor and came from the factory with night sights. am i wrong?
  • cpermdcpermd Member Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by midnightrunpaintballer
    ok then i'm confused. i thought they originally did not come with night sights and had an internal extractor. then changed to external extractor. then changed back to internal extractor and came from the factory with night sights. am i wrong?

Yes, you are wrong.
    The extractor has nothing to do with the series.
    The series only refers to the firing pin block.

CP
  • BHAVINBHAVIN Member Posts: 3,490 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    When the II series came out it had an internal extractor then they went to the external then it went back to the internal. Some original models came with night sights some did not.
  • midnightrunpaintballermidnightrunpaintballer Member Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ok thanks for clearing that up. i'm understanding that i have my terminology mixed up. they came with internal extractor, then changed to external and then back to internal (but they were all series II) i would assume that the ones coming with night sights were the ones that came after changing BACK to internal. would this be correct? the kimber i have, has an internal extractor and did not come with night sights therefore would be one of the earlier productions (still series II) correct? i don't really care about the extractor, i'm just trying to get an idea of production timeline.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If it has the firing pin block, it is a series II. One with plain sights may be a early one or a special order.
    I have a Custom Covert, 1of1000, made in 1999 that has night sights that are stock from the factory. It is the first melt down gun Kimber made before comming out with the CDP'S.