In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

.410 vs 28 ga

HawkshawHawkshaw Member Posts: 1,016 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Continuing my query about efective range, on cottontail, and grouse. Would a 28Ga. out perform the 3" .410? Again assume full choke, and you pick the shot size. THX again HAWKSHAW I'm aware of the difference in cost.

Comments

• ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I believe the 28 gauge would have the edge on performance. I've shot clay pigeons with both the .410 and the 28 ga. and the later breaks more birds.
  • Riomouse911Riomouse911 Member Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I own both, and have shot trap with both... IMO the effective range is similar, but I'd give the slightest of edge to the 28...I think it can hold a tiny bit more shot, 1 oz to 11/16 oz... Heres a link to a book that compares the two http://books.google.com/books?id=sUH9auGGtBwC&pg=PA70&lpg=PA70&dq=maximum+load+28+gauge&source=bl&ots=fkt7fWboNN&sig=Z5pAHdPvcMzFCtk8PBTVukF7I7A&hl=en&ei=NS_NSo_1II7iMJznmTo&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=7.

Either one will prove a difficult feat on a flying grouse or running rabbit...when compared to a 20,16, or 12.
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,052 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    28ga hands down. i have used both and the one once of 6,s or 71/2,s in the 28ga out shines the 410 every time. eastbank.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • PA ShootistPA Shootist Member Posts: 691 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'll opine the 28 ga is way ahead of the .410. I have used both a lot for Skeet for over 30 years, and at that game the 28 is an obvious better performer. I also hunt some with the 28 ga, a Browning BPS. 25% to 33% more shot, with shorter shot strings and nice, even patterns.
  • allechalleyallechalley Member Posts: 888 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    AS PA said, part of the advantage comes from the shorter shot column, even if the load was of the same weight. Supposedly, a shorter column has a better pattern downrange. Give the 28 the upper
    hand.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Donna,

The 28 ga is hands down the winner in both performance and cost over the 410. The cheapest I can find 3 " 410 is $9.00 per box. While I can get a case of Estate 28's for around $6.00 per box. The 28 gauge carries near the payload of a 20 in a bore that is smaller. You get better patterns with it usually. I have a Franci 48AL semi in 28 gauge. It feels like it weighs about 4 pounds, but it is closer to 5 1/2. It is a fast pointer, and is really handy for Ruffed Grouse, Cottontail rabbit or Snowshoe hairs, and woodcock here in NY.

Best
  • gearheaddadgearheaddad Member Posts: 15,091 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    28 gauge.
    My best shots have been with a 28.
  • geeguygeeguy Member Posts: 1,047
    edited November -1
    I'll get some flack for this answer, but IMHO it's about the same range and impact. Most of the answers above refer to "clay games" in which the 28 ga is hands down the winner (love my 28's). But consider that a 3" .410 has the same amount of shot as a 2 3/4" 28 ga and about the same power, therefore the difference is really the pattern, .410 being "longer" and 28 being "wider". If a person was to hit a rabbit with a longer string of shot, would that not be better?

I hunted rabbits as a kid with a single shot .410 and never had a problem at 40 yds with a full choke. I must admit that I have never hunted rabbits with a 28ga, just birds.

Why not a 12 ga and just be done with it? Although it is an interesting topic.

Good luck in either choice.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shoot all guage skeet, and for some reason, at least with my set, the 28ga is the best patterning guage. Hits with even my 20ga do not compare to the hits with the 28ga. The 20ga breaks them, the 28ga dust them.

When I go bird hunting, phesants and smaller, I grab a 28ga first.
  • iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    One other thing to think about is ammo availability - You can find 410 on the shelves of country stores, etc. but not 28.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While many people start kids with .410s because of the low recoil, it is, in my view more of a gun for an expert shotgunner. That is why I shoot with a 28.[:I]
  • eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,052 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    i,d like to know where you can buy 3" 410,s with 7/8 oz,let alone 1 oz loads. and you are handycapping your self with a full choke in the 410. can you kill things at 40yds with a 410,yes but your pattern will be very schecthy(not filled in). believe me people who use 410, or 28,s have shells,you may not be able to buy 28,s at a mom and pop store, however walmark has them. there are about eight small gun shops here and every one of them has 28,s and 410,s. eastbank.