In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

SMITH&WESSON

KCSODAFIZKCSODAFIZ Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
does anyone remember what the kit gun smith&wesson made in the 1990 was. it had a 3" barrel and had adjustable rear sight and a high viz front sight. it was in a magazine and it was in a shoot out against a ruger sp101. it was a 32 mag stainless. if anyone remembers the model please let me know. i think i remember calling s&w about it and they was all sent over seas was it the model 631 or 632

Comments

• KCSODAFIZKCSODAFIZ Member Posts: 21 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    HAVE A SMITH & WESSON 38, 4 INCH BARREL, HAS OAK GRIPS WITH 2 CROME RIVETS ON EACH SIDE OF GRIPS AND A CLASP ON BOTTOM OF GRIP, marked ctg, US property of G.H.D. VERY NICE COND. CAN YOU TELL ME THE VALUEOF THIS? THANKS
    edited November -1
    Hi, new guy here.
    A friend of mine is about to sell this one, but he doesn't know much about it and neither do I. Could somebody here tell me something about it? I might buy it.
    Serialnr: 230269

gun3.jpg
    edited November -1
    I have aquired a Smith & Wesson pistol(not sure, but it appears to be a model 64 chrome.) It has the letters TWC & numbers 5366 under the letters stamped on the side of the gun. Any idea what they may stand for? I live in Texas, so I figure the T stands for Texas.
  • yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 946 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sounds like a Victory model. Look at the s/n. It should have a "V" with the number.
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by yblockhead
    Sounds like a Victory model. Look at the s/n. It should have a "V" with the number.
    edited November -1
    YES IT HAS A V IN SERIAL #, I WAS TOLD THIS WAS A POLICE OR MILATARY, ERA 1940S?????
  • yblockheadyblockhead Member Posts: 946 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I know there are a lot more experts out there that will help you more than I, but it sounds like you do have a victory model (model 10) that was made for the military during WWII. The .38 S&W caliber mostly went to England as a lend-lease. The .38 Specials mostly stayed with the troops on this side. I have one that is not US property marked, and what I have found is that is was most likely issued to securtiy personell (i.e. banks, shipyards etc.)
    Do a google search, and you might find more info as well as here.
    P.S. the original grips were a smooth walnut.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by KCSODAFIZ
    YES IT HAS A V IN SERIAL #, I WAS TOLD THIS WAS A POLICE OR MILATARY, ERA 1940S?????

Yup. Look familiar?

Smith%20and%20Wesson%20pistols%20pistol%20%20revolver%20revolvers%201%20victory%20revolver.jpg

If you just search the internet (or even the "Ask the Experts" page here) for "Victory Revolver" you'll get tons of information on these.

Briefly, they are .38 caliber revolvers manufactured for the second World War. They are build on the medium Smith "K" frame. This model gun is the longest continuously produced handgun in the world. The originals were made at the end of the 19th century, and Smith continues to make essentially the same model (with a number of cumulative changes over the decades) today as the model 10.

The Victory revolvers were intended for service use, with the durable parkerized finish, and lanyard ring (which you call a "clasp").

Many chambered in .38-200 went to England as part of the "lend lease" program. Many of those eventually made it back to the USA and some were rechambered to .38 special by drilling out the cylinders.

Going price for these is probably about $200-250 for the average specimen. But based on the exact condition and/or provenance, you could figure $150-500.
  • coledigger4coledigger4 Member Posts: 826 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by beantownshootah
    quote:Originally posted by KCSODAFIZ

Yup. Look familiar?

Smith%20and%20Wesson%20pistols%20pistol%20%20revolver%20revolvers%201%20victory%20revolver.jpg

If you just search the internet (or even the "Ask the Experts" page here) for "Victory Revolver" you'll get tons of information on these.

Briefly, they are .38 caliber revolvers manufactured for the second World War. They are build on the medium Smith "K" frame. This model gun is the longest continuously produced handgun in the world. The originals were made at the end of the 19th century, and Smith continues to make essentially the same model (with a number of cumulative changes over the decades) today as the model 10.

The Victory revolvers were intended for service use, with the durable parkerized finish, and lanyard ring (which you call a "clasp").

Many chambered in .38-200 went to England as part of the "lend lease" program. Many of those eventually made it back to the USA and some were rechambered to .38 special by drilling out the cylinders.

Going price for these is probably about $200-250 for the average specimen. But based on the exact condition and/or provenance, you could figure $150-500.

Just out of curiousity, what is that inside of the barrel? It looks like it is threaded to me.