In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thank you bpost1958, why are low

slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
base and hi base shells made? There. The whole world can see I'm as dumb as a used primer.

Comments

• 11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,584 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    In the days of paper shotshells, you could get a pinhole burn through from the powder, so the brass covered the paper for the height of the powder column. Hotter loads meant more powder, so higher brass to enclose powder. With plastic hulls and modern, less bulky powder, high brass no longer serves a purpose, but folks are so used to high brass= high power, the makers are kinda stuck with it.
  • slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks alot! I love this place.
  • varianvarian Member Posts: 2,255 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Brass height has long been a marketing scheme. at one time there were shotgun shells made without any brass, "wanda" was a brand name if i remember correctly.
    edited November -1
    Good memory- I have a Wanda 12 and 20 in my collection. Translucent blue and yellow plastic- you can see the powder, shot cup, and shot thru the shell. There was another "no brass" that had a metal disc for the base, covered in plastic.
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slinger
    base and hi base shells made? There. The whole world can see I'm as dumb as a used primer.

You are not dumb by any measure; you are very smart and learning, looking for answers to questions you have.

Dumb people never learn! [:D]

At one time there were solid brass shotgun cases made too. Activ cases are solid plastic, with a steel disk inside the rim area for extraction.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by 11b6r
    Good memory- I have a Wanda 12 and 20 in my collection. Translucent blue and yellow plastic- you can see the powder, shot cup, and shot thru the shell. There was another "no brass" that had a metal disc for the base, covered in plastic.

Sounds like Active. I still have a case or so left.
  • He DogHe Dog Member Posts: 51,424 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Slinger, glad you ask, that way I got to learn too, without looking dumb as a used primer like you. Oops.[:I]
    edited November -1
    Yep, ACTIV. There are High Brass, Low Brass, No Brass, All Brass- and I even have a couple of ALUMINUM shot shells. Check around- if you don't think there are a few weird things out there, I have shotshells from 4 guage down to 6mm, and still do not have a smple of ALL shotshells (still looking for a 15 guage shell- yes, 15)
  • slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I lurk and learn too. [:)]