In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Anybody have any problem shooting

slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
.410 Hi Base in a Judge?

Comments

• quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What kind of problems?
    which guns? 2.5" or 3"?
    cylinder locks up or wont rotate?
    cylinder wont open?
    too much recoil?
    Wont eject?
    Not accurate enough?
    Buck, bird, or slug problems?

What kind of problems
  • slingerslinger Member Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the response. 3 inch. Haven't shot it yet. I'm trying to be wise before I mess up. So I guess the question is: Would anyone forsee any problems shooting Hi Base in a Judge?
  • bpostbpost Member Posts: 32,669 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The base of a shotgun shell has nothing to do with its power, so; to answer your question. No, there is nothing to worry about.
  • duckhunterduckhunter Member Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hang on tight. You will loose the skin on tour middle finger.
  • dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Some of the Judges have a problem with cylinder lock-up with 410's.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You shouldn't have a problem with safety, if that's the question.

The gun is designed to handle shotshells.

Even the 3-inch .410 shells operate at a lower pressure than the 45 Long colt, which these guns are supposed to handle fine and in unlimited quantity.

Further, I'd actually be pretty surprised if these modern-steel guns couldn't safely handle pressures *MUCH* higher than the relatively low ones generated by the 45LC which was designed as a black powder round.

In terms of other problems (lockup, hard ejection, etc), you *shouldn't* have any. If you do, that's the fault of the gun, not your choice of loads.
  • rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by slinger
    Thanks for the response. 3 inch. Haven't shot it yet. I'm trying to be wise before I mess up. So I guess the question is: Would anyone forsee any problems shooting Hi Base in a Judge?

Make sure it will take 3". Most of the Taurus 45/410's I've seen are chambered for 2 1/2"
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rsnyder55
    quote:Originally posted by slinger

Make sure it will take 3". Most of the Taurus 45/410's I've seen are chambered for 2 1/2"

Just to be clear, there *IS* a 3" version available, and of course it was specifically designed to handle magnum loads:
    http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=638&category=Revolver

Obviously, you'd run into one pretty big problem if you tried to squeeze a 3" shell into a 2.5" gun. . .the cylinder wouldn't close.