In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

7.62x54 Question

mwester89mwester89 Member Posts: 186 ✭✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Does anyone here know of a company that makes "hot" loads for this round, I don't handload so I have to buy factory loaded ammo. Any info is greatly apprectiated.

Comments

• rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Not likely with all the ambulance chasing, blood sucking lawyers around. Legal liability has become a nightmare for the various firearms industries over the last 30 years. Some of the M-N's still being sold and shot date to the 1890's. They have been used and abused for well over 100 years now. Nobody in their right mind is going to be selling "Magnum" loads for them. If you want hot loads for your toy(s) you are going to have to reload them yourself.
  • beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They're all sort of "hot", being roughly equivalent to 30'06 power.

The Russians use this round to hunt Polar Bear and Moose. In fact, in contrast to Americans obsession with magnum rounds, some Russians consider the round TOO powerful for Moose!

Most of the standard military surplus rounds have steel cores, and will shoot a hole through. . .well pretty much anything you'd want to shoot.

That's not enough for you? May I ask, what is that you plan to shoot?

I'm not sure why you would, but if you need more "thump" for plinking/target shooting, you can switch from the ordinary "light ball" surplus to some "heavy ball" military surplus, which does have more kick.

In terms of hunting type rounds, there are at least a few brands available (eg Sellier and Belloit, etc). Norma (Sweden) has a 180 grain soft point that is reasonably stout, but these aren't cheap.
  • swearengineswearengine Member Posts: 1,308 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Norma loads everything to its potential. They also use a premium bullet for hunting applications.
  • armilitearmilite Member Posts: 35,488 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While most of the guns chambered for the 7.62x54 have strong actions. Many of these guns are nearly 100 years old. No one in their right mind would want to use "HOT LOADS" in these rifles. Stick with what the factory makes. Factories know best.
  • haroldchrismeyerharoldchrismeyer Member Posts: 2,213
    edited November -1
    If you get the heavy ball, it is plenty powerful. Better get ready for a bruised shoulder if you shoot much of it. Most of the heavy ball available here wasn't made for the bolt action rifle, but for the machine gun. The rifle will handle it without problem though.