In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Socom or LR-308 AP4?

oneyotieoneyotie Member Posts: 44 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
The Socom (Gen 2?) is used and comes with a scope base, 1-five round, 2- twenty round and 4- thirty round mags. The guy wants $1900 for it.

The AP4 is NIB comes with 2-nineteen round mags. He wants $1200 for it.

Which one would be the better buy?

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The DPMS LR-308 is the better buy. Plus it is more modular. You can put the flat top bull barrel 24 inch upper on it, you can switch calibers in uppers from 243 Winchester, 260 Remington, 338 Federal, 6.5 Creedmoor, and several custom others...even a 300 SAUM! The SOCOM II will only be a SOCOM II in 308...forever.

Best
  • WarGamesWarGames Member Posts: 106 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • dfletcherdfletcher Member Posts: 8,168 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have both - sort of. I have an M1A Scout with ARMS mount and a POF lower with a DPMS AP4 upper, the DPMS has a gasblock instead of the standard front sight & a few other changes, but basically an AP4.

If new, good prices. If used, I think the price on each is a tad high, but the quality of the mags and scope mount on the M1A would be the deciding factor on that matter. If the mags are good GI and a Sadlak or ARMS or other good quality I'd say price is OK. If the mags are $13.99 specials and a $29.00 single point aluminium mount I'd pass and (offer to) buy the gun only for $1,600.00

The price on the AP4 is pretty much the same as retail, 19 rd mags are readily available from CProducts in 7.62 for about $29.00 - but if its in excellent shape you get to get your hands on it now, and that's worth something I suppose.

The AR is much easier to scope and shoot well, I find the M1A to be a bit of a challenge. I like my M1A better than my AR type, but I shoot the AR better.

Moneywise, so long as the M1A has good mags and mount seems like an even playing field - just gets down to what you like I suppose.
  • quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 15,576 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is almost retail price for a new socom II.

If you shop around you can get an AP-4 with a quad rail handguard for right around 1,150.00 new, with two mags and a sling. As has been said the AR platform is pretty user friendly.