In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Rem LT 20 1100 won't eject dove loads

BossmustangaceBossmustangace Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
edited October 2009 in Ask the Experts
Remington LT 20 1100 is chambered for 3" mag, and it's not ejecting my dove loads.

Question:

If I buy a LT 20 bbl in 2.75" (the one with gas 2 ports instead of one), will the gun then eject the light loads properly, or is there some other problem I'm not aware of?

More facts (if you care):
Paid $350. Has 28" full choke, no V rib. Don't know if it ejects 3" shells (haven't tried).
I don't want to shoot $15/box ammo for dove (the way I shoot, I could probably buy two barrels and still come out aheah, LOL).
I don't at all mind spending $210 on a new bbl with a VR and Rem-Chokes IF IF IF it solves my problem. At that pt, total investment is 350+225=575, and I have an extra bbl.
Alternative: Sell it for $350 (or more, it's nice!) and buy a 2.75" LT 20 and file the issue under "lessons learned #2,346."
Ok, Thanks very much for reading this!

Comments

• golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 970 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    mags won't do light loads, barrels switch would work or just buy an 11-87 in that price range or a franchi also
  • BGHillbillyBGHillbilly Member Posts: 1,927 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thats why I started reloading when I was 14. Could not afford mag ammo. My 1100 20ga 3" 28" non vent rib barrel would shoot slugs,buck, 3"mag and 2 3/4" mag flawlessly. No eject on anything else. Some hibrass win superX rounds would occasionally eject. At that time dove loads were about 3.50 a box, mag loads were 10-12. Reloads were 2.30 for light loads and 2.70 for 3" mag. Loaded up a bunch of 3"mag #8 shot for dove and 2 3/4" mags also.
  • FrostDawgFrostDawg Member Posts: 706 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A good gunsmith should be able to open up the gas ports to make it cycle better with the lower power loads. Some shotguns have adjustable ports for hi/low power loads. My SKB 900 semi does, for instance.
  • TRAP55TRAP55 Member Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:A good gunsmith should be able to open up the gas ports to make it cycle better with the lower power loads.
    Not on an LT, LW, or Std 1100. Once you drill a magnum barrel, it's magnum days are over. Buy another barrel.
  • v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Enlarging ports will get it to cycle the lighter loads but may subject the gun to damaging forces when magnum loads are used.
  • BossmustangaceBossmustangace Member Posts: 45 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Trap,
    I agree w you.

But Trap, if I get the new bbl, are all my ejection problems solved?
    Thx
  • golferboy426golferboy426 Member Posts: 970 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    new barrel solves the problem. I have a couple of barrels, email me if you have an interest