In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt light rifle

SSG ZAGSSG ZAG Member Posts: 211 ✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in Ask the Experts
Just wondering if anybody has any experience with these rifles. Are they any good and I was told they only made around 5000 or so. I have the opportunity to pick up one in 300 win mag with a burris fullfield 3x9x40 edot scope for for $600. thanks Jeff

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    There are a couple of Colt bolt actions on GB right now, and I was wondering if they are good or not so good.
    1. What are there design features?
    2. How solid is the syn. stock? i.e. Rem. ADL syn. is kind of flimsy
    3. Avalibility of good scope bases?
    At the price they are going for, it would make a good meat gun. I just havn't had a chance to look at one "in hand"
  • Options
    edited November -1
    What scope bases fit these?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know who made these for colt? also how are they as far as accuracy? im thinking on a .270 or 30/06 caliber .
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I looked through some older posts, but didn't get all the information i was looking for. are these good rifles? how accurate should i expect one to be in 300 win mag? how bad would the recoil be in 300 win mag in a 5.5 lb gun? how much would you expect to pay for one in 98% condition? any other help is always appreciated. thanks.

I'm not an expert, but i did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Does anyone know if there is another stock that will fit this rifle.
    Preferably a synthetic one. I know the purpose of these rifles is to be very light and it is but I'd like to put a more solid stock on it. I love the way it shoots but it's a 300 win mag and weighing a little more than 5Lbs. It kickes like a mule. If anybody knows of such a stock and where I can get it please let me know.

Thanks Jeff
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    bull300wsmbull300wsm Member Posts: 3,289
    edited November -1
    One of the Remington 700 two piece bases won't fit , can't remember if it was the front or the back. I never could find anything that worked. A gunsmith could probably make a set that works...bull
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Check with Brownell's tech dept they will give you correct information.
  • Options
    FEENIXFEENIX Member Posts: 10,559 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    +1 on bull300wsm's comment and recommendation.

Colt bought ULA and redesigned the parts and farmed them out to many (the cheapest) mftrs . Consequently they had quality and fitting issues that killed the rifle.

Melvin bought it back when Colt folded it and renamed it the NULA (New Ultra Light Arms). The Colt Light rifles only have 3 minor parts that are interchangeable with the ULA models. They are absolutely not the same guns. Melvin Forbes (ULA/NULA owner) a couple years ago was in the process of tracking down the different mftrs and buying up their stock of Colt Light Rifle parts from them.

You can also try to contact him at http://www.newultralight.com/ , perhaps he can help you or recommend a more suitable course of action.

Good luck!

Ed