In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

military ammo found

bverboybverboy Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
edited August 2010 in Ask the Experts
ran across a metal box never been opened until yesterday. says do not use as food container. 192 cartridges, cal .30 ap m2, 8 rd clips, bandoleers, lot lc 13387. red primers with lc 53 stamped on the brass. can i shoot these thru my rem. 30-06? any info appreciated.

Comments

• Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,976 ******
    edited November -1
    " . can i shoot these thru my rem. 30-06? any info appreciated........yes you can, BUT............they MAY have corrosive primers, you will have to clean the rifle accordingly. CARTOD may be able to help with the lot #
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Well, you could shoot it through your Remington if you are plinking or doing informal target shooting. It has a black tip, indicating "armor piercing", suitable for penetrating light armor; so, be sure to use with a dirt backstop. It was made at the US Lake City Arsenal in 1953. I have found that this ammo is almost as accurate as USGI National Match ammo. Obviously, you don't want to use it for hunting.

The lot number tells me that it is noncorrosive, a big plus. If you want to sell it, I would expect it to bring $100-150 for the can.

Neal
  • Options
    mark christianmark christian Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 24,456 ******
    edited November -1
    1953 LC is well into the non corrosive range.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    just got a new scope so i thought i would run a few thru to get it close, then use a hunting round. what does lc stand for?
  • Options
    countryfarmercountryfarmer Member Posts: 4,552
    edited November -1
    lc stands for Lake City, the plant where it was assembled.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The 150gr M-2 Ball we were issued wasn't black tip. M-1 Ball 173 gr was black tip armor piercing.
    M-2 was used for practice and M-1 for combat.
    We only had WW2 corrosive stocks.
    M-2 Ball Ammo and designation changed since.
    Black tip is the AP designation.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    v35, these dudes have a black tip. so are they still 150gr armor piercing?
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by bverboy
    v35, these dudes have a black tip. so are they still 150gr armor piercing?

Yes
  • Options
    john wjohn w Member Posts: 4,104
    edited November -1
    They are 163 grn ap rounds as said make sure you have a good backround as these will shoot thru a good sized tree or 3/4" of steel or more
  • Options
    babunbabun Member Posts: 11,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On page 126 of this pdf file , you can find a lot of info about US ammo.
    http://www.dia.mil/publicaffairs/Foia/smcal_vol1.pdf

bob