In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Drilling Question

ECO-DAVEECO-DAVE Member Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in Ask the Experts
Hello,
I would like some help to indentify this Drilling. Here are some pictures. There is no makers name that i can find.

Thank you

036.jpg

040.jpg

037.jpg

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    All your photos show are a early Drilling with external hammers. The proof marks are the standard one used in Germany after 1891. The shotgun barrels are choked, shown by the "Crown W" proof. The "Crown G" proof is for the rifled barrel. It's quite unusual that a high grade Drilling like the one in the photos doesn't have a makers or retailers marking somewhere on it. The only thing I could guess is that when it was ordered from the custom gunsmith there were specific instructions about not being marked with the gunsmiths name. Or perhaps it was some apprentices master work, that he didn't mark?
  • Options
    ECO-DAVEECO-DAVE Member Posts: 243 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks...any ideas what it is worth? The stock and metal is in great shape and the wood has fantactic figure. Also all the serial numbers match.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by ECO-DAVE
    Thanks...any ideas what it is worth? The stock and metal is in great shape and the wood has fantactic figure. Also all the serial numbers match.

Generally high quality guns like this drilling would have more value in Germany then here in the U.S. Most likely it was brought to the U.S. as a souvenir by one of our guys, after the war. If you can make direct contact with a German collector or even a dealer over there it would be the way to get top buck out of it. If you can take better quality external photos it would be best.