In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Carbine shooting high.

Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in Ask the Experts
I think I'm going to have to pack this off to the carbine doctor but thought I would see if anyone has an idea here. My Rock-Ola Carbine is shooting about 12 inches high at 50 feet. Bent barrel??? Or something else to look at??

Comments

• Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'd look at the front sight, the rear sight, the manufacturer of the barrel, & import markings.

Your gunsmith will also look at the threads on the barrel & receiver.

Neal
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That is really high for 50'...
    Was the gun zeroed in B4 correctly?
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Wow, a foot high at 16 yards, thats bad. This may be a silly question, but do you have the rear sight pushed all the way forward?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Sights are original and correct. The carbine has never shot correctly. I initially put a red dot on it and was able to dial it in but, frankly, I think it looks stupid so took it off and put the original Carbine sight back on. I think my only option is to ship it off to the carbine doctor. I suspect it may need a new barrel.

Not a silly question - yea the rear sight is pushed all the way down.
  • Options
    quickmajikquickmajik Member Posts: 16,324
    edited November -1
    Just so happens that thirteen and half inches high is a dead on zero for two houndred yards with the .30carbine. If it is shooting in line with bore but a foot high It may be zeroed for that distance, and meant to be used with alittle Kentucky windage at closer ranges.

Good luck.

It might have been filed down by a GI who had it. Or since it has been on the civlian market..
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    My carbine was the same way. I got a front sight off GB and then saw what the difference was. Someone, beforeI got it, filled the sight down for some reason.
    Look on the auction side, and maby others, for a front sight.
    Email the seller and see if they will measure it for you.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bent barrel is pretty unlikely.

You can sight along the barrel from the muzzle end (make damn sure the gun is unloaded before you try this!) to see if its straight or not.

Instead of a new barrel, I think you probably just need a higher front sight.
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sometime shooting problems with the carbine are the way the barrel and receiver are installed in the stock. The recoil plate screw should be tightened until the barrel is raised about one eight of an in above the stock, push the barrel into the stock and install the band. As the other poster said when the front sight is new the rifle gets sighted in at one hundred yards and material is taken of to lower point of aim. I have herd of over sized front sights for the carbine I have no idea were you can get one. There are two articles that may help you with your problem with sighting you carbine to the right of the carbine picture at this link.

http://www.thecmp.org/m1carbine.htm

Emmett
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Okay - I have a Fulton Armory one that shoots perfect. I'm going to drag them both out and see about the front sight. The rear clamp is loose - stuffed a part of a cut "O" ring in there to make it tight. Possible factor?
  • Options
    Emmett DunhamEmmett Dunham Member Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Stuffing something in between the recoil plate and the stock will make any problem with point of aim worse not help. You need to down load the two artiicals I provide that give step by step imformation on setting up the stock and how to use the sighting system or take the rifle to someone who knows carbines!

Emmett
  • Options
    wpagewpage Member Posts: 10,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You want the rear sight to raise up to bring your hits down. What range are going to zero in at?