In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

M1 Carbine shooting high. #2

MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
edited August 2010 in Ask the Experts
fwiw my (correctly sighted) m-1 cabine has a front sight height of 1.060" (measures with the sight on the barrel, this includes the barrel also). the last poster on the original thread has it wrong, to lower your bullets impact you lower the rear sight (or raise the front sight).

Comments

• Options
    Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Compared that front sight on the Rock-Ola with the front sight on my Underwood from Fulton Armory. What I did was measure the height of the sight from the top of the ears. Turns out that the Rock-Ola was down 1/8th of an inch from the top of the ears while the Underwood (which is on target) was about 1/32, or perhaps a little more, from the top so clearly the front sight is low. Would 3/32 on the front sight be enough to make a 12" difference at 50'? Just for reference - the Rock-Ola is shooting 12" high at 50'.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Looking at the CMP web site,.006" will change bullet impact 1/2" at 50yds and 1" at 100yds. 3/32 is .093" so it would change the bullet impact about 15" if my math is right.
  • Options
    Maxx424Maxx424 Member Posts: 719 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Time to order an new front sight and see!

Thanks to all for the help and information!