In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

S&W 17-4

rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in Ask the Experts
After reading about another Model 17, I have a Model 17-4 with 8 3/8" barrel, TT, TH, TS, pinned barrel and adjustable sights. The box says Smith & Wesson a Bangor Punta company.

What did they do to make this revolver less desirable than previous versions?

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Bangor-Punta was the name of a conglomerate who purchased S & W from the Wesson family heirs in 1965. Many folks feel after this point the quality of S & W firearms declined greatly.
  • Options
    BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi...It's probably a similar circumstance to the sale of Winchester to "other interests" in 1964. Cheaper, more modern methods and materials are used in an effort to make a borderline company more profitable. Most "old timers" feel that this effort cheapens the product, and makes it less desirable. If your 17-4 works well for you, I wouldn't lose any sleep about whether someone else likes your gun or not. I collect modern Winchesters and Smiths, and am happy with both, as I wasn't around when Custer got his! BT
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with BUCKAWHO.

I have a 8 3/8" Model 17-4 revolver (mine's #97Kxxxx) and it shoots just as well as my pre-1957 S&W K-22. The longer barrel on the dash-4 is handy.

S&W didn't make all that many Mod 17s with 8 3/8" barrels so there is some collector interest in your gun.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Sorry, I have to disagree.

All the Model 17's are considered desirable up through the 17-5 (1989), when the full lug barrel (17-6) was introduced. If you are under the impression your gun is a POS, kindly post a link to the auction & we will all follow how undesirable it is.

Neal

EDIT: Sorry Zinderbloc, you are correct; I should not have engaged in exageration. The point I was trying to make is that the OP's gun is quite desirable, & that model will bring a high price that proves that it is.
  • Options
    ZinderblocZinderbloc Member Posts: 925 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    nmyers, where in the original post does rsnyder say he believes his gun is a POS? He simply asked why the later Model 17s are less desirable than the earlier ones.