In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.22 High Standard Help

TEUFELHUNDETEUFELHUNDE Member Posts: 130 ✭✭✭
edited August 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have this High Standard Sentinel Deluxe Model 106 nine shot .22 I recently bought from "Glen" at Eastern Branch Firearms. It has an over sized hole in the aluminum frame face where the cylinder lock plunger seats. Looks like it has been forced closed too hard, too many times.
Does anyone know of a fix? Can the aluminum be "spot welded", or do they make a bushing for this problem? Or is the frame just junk?
I can supply a picture if it will help.

"Out here, due process is a bullet." John Wayne as Col. Michael Kirby (The Green Berets):

KEEP THE LEGEND ALIVE

Comments

• Options
    RCrosbyRCrosby Member Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Good pics really would help.
    Sounds like bushing may be the way to go, but unless you have a real good friend who's a real good gunsmith, I suspect the cost of the repair may exceed the value of the gun. (Especially if there are other components that have had a similarly rough life.)
    Just my 2 cents.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A steel filled epoxy may be a temporary fix. You may have to re-do it every year or so. There is no pressure issue in that location.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    here are two pictures that may help explain the problem. As soon as I get the springs I ordered I think I will fit a wood rep of the plunger seat and try the epoxy.
    [img]C:\Users\woodardcg\Pictures\gunstuff\P8300997.jpg[/img]

Improvise, Adapt and Overcome

Semper Fi
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Can't see the pic's. Check the hand length, I have seen elongated holes in steel frames from replacement unfitted hands. If it were mine I'd be looking to make a bushing out of some sort of tubing, and glue that in. Oh and watch out for solvents and grease as they can be hard on epoxies.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I can't seem to get pics to load. I'll try and figure it out.

I am thinking I might be able to cut down an aluminum collett from a drimel and epoxy it in. But I am not going to do anything that will have to make the hole any bigger as long as the cylinder is staying in place and feels tight. I am waiting on a spring set, once I put them in I will see what happens.

Thanks for everyones help, I can see a big advantage to having the problem looked at several different ways.

Semper Fi