In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

I have a Canadian mystery.

JeepflexinJeepflexin Member Posts: 317 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
Picked up this neat little 22 and am trying to figure out what the heck it is, it looked Remington reminiscent when I first looked at it, even has a Remington marked magazine, though I have found some non Remington traits as well. It is marked Canadian Mark VII with serial number 24478. Any info on what it is would be appreciated.

IMG_20100830_124603.jpg

IMG_20100830_124613.jpg

IMG_20100830_124646.jpg

IMG_20100830_124706.jpg

IMG_20100830_124741.jpg

IMG_20100830_124800.jpg

IMG_20100830_124805.jpg

IMG_20100830_124831.jpg

IMG_20100830_124836.jpg

IMG_20100830_124843.jpg

IMG_20100830_124859.jpg

IMG_20100830_124939.jpg

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    Savage made/makes these, may want to give them a call.

Savage Arms Inc
    Westfield Mass,
    phone 413 562 7764
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There are a series of Canadian made .22 rifles listed in my reference, made by the Lakefield Arms Co., located in Quebec. Although one of the rifles is identified as a Mark I, there isn't a Mark VII shown.

It's noted that Lakefield Arms was acquired by Savage in the mid 90's
  • Options
    JobotJobot Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have the same rifle. Could you please tell me how you take the bolt out?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    also my canadian mark VII does not have a serial number
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jobot

Pull the trigger and "jiggle" the bolt while pulling back on it gently, mine came out with a touch more pressure than I would have expected. I honestly figured it was just gummed up, perhaps it is a design issue that makes them tight to remove.

I wouldn't worry about no serial number, unless you can see some one scrapped one out. Likely your rifle was built before 1968 when serial numbers were not required.

Is your rifle marked as a "CANADIAN MARK VII" also? If so how did you come to own it? I stumbled on mine at a local gun shop, they didn't know what it was (neither did I) and I thought it was neat enough for the price.
  • Options
    neatgunsneatguns Member Posts: 128 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The bolt and rear sight look like a Remington Model 511. The stock does not look Remington. My guess is this is a hardware store gun made in the 1960's 0r 70's. Maybe for the Canadian market. Does Remington have any factories in Canada?
  • Options
    richbugrichbug Member Posts: 3,650
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by neatguns
    The bolt and rear sight look like a Remington Model 511. The stock does not look Remington. My guess is this is a hardware store gun made in the 1960's 0r 70's. Maybe for the Canadian market. Does Remington have any factories in Canada?

The Remington 510 series has a second lug on the bolt opposite the bolt handle. This one doesn't.

Sight is similar in design, but not same, ramp is different.

Unlike most other US manufacturers, Remington never built any "Store Brand" guns that I have heard of. If it is a Remington it is marked as such.
  • Options
    edited November -1

Pull the trigger and "jiggle" the bolt while pulling back on it gently, mine came out with a touch more pressure than I would have expected. I honestly figured it was just gummed up, perhaps it is a design issue that makes them tight to remove.

I wouldn't worry about no serial number, unless you can see some one scrapped one out. Likely your rifle was built before 1968 when serial numbers were not required.

Is your rifle marked as a "CANADIAN MARK VII" also? If so how did you come to own it? I stumbled on mine at a local gun shop, they didn't know what it was (neither did I) and I thought it was neat enough for the price.

(sorry i am not sure how to quote on this forum)

Thank you a lot. I was able to get the bolt out and boy was it dirty. I have not seen a more simple gun.
    Yep it has no serial number and no evidence of scraping out eater.
    yeah; my rifle is marked "CANADIAN MARK VII", I received this rifle and another gun for an old car that I had.

What do you think the best way to mount a scope is for this gun? what kind of groups are you getting?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Jobot[/i]

(sorry i am not sure how to quote on this forum)

Hit the reply with quote button.

quote:Thank you a lot. I was able to get the bolt out and boy was it dirty. I have not seen a more simple gun.
    Yep it has no serial number and no evidence of scraping out eater.
    yeah; my rifle is marked "CANADIAN MARK VII", I received this rifle and another gun for an old car that I had.

What do you think the best way to mount a scope is for this gun? what kind of groups are you getting?

Glad to help, I have not shot this, likely wont, I'll clean it up and put it with "the others" as far as mounting a scope that is probably impractical likely requiring drilling the receiver. It would be cheaper to just buy another scope friendly rifle.