In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.44-40

Sig220_Ruger77Sig220_Ruger77 Member Posts: 12,748 ✭✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I tend to see a lot of cowboy loads around here in this caliber, but do any companies still make standard or hotter loads for this caliber? I am looking for something with a hard cast bullet in the 200+ grain range that I can throw in an Ruger Old Vaquero when I am out in the woods small game hunting. Thanks in advance.

Jon

Comments

• Options
    iwannausernameiwannausername Member Posts: 7,131
    edited November -1
    One of the custom or semi-custom ammo makers probably do make hotter loads, but most of what you will find will be lawyer-proofed to work in old SAA Colts, etc.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i shoot 10gr unique with a 200gr jhp out of a CD little sharps, very good load. eastbank.
  • Options
    Killian19Killian19 Member Posts: 6 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check Win SuperX or Remington 44-40, 200JSP, will to the trick. The the price is steep $68.00 for 50. They used to be around 24 to 38, several years ago, before the ammo jumped in price
  • Options
    WWllVetWWllVet Member Posts: 1,493 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you want heavier loads, best bet is to load your own. Or find someone who will do it for you.

Not as Lean[:D][:D] Not as Mean[:(!][:(!] But STILL a MARINE[}:)][}:)]

For GOD and COUNTRY

Vet
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    High velocity loads for 32-20, 38-40 and 44-40 haven't been loaded for about 50 years.
    There's really no reason for current jacketed s.p. bullets in today's loads since they are at the old lead bullet pressures and velocities.
    If you want performance from the 44-40 in that Ruger, you need to handload.
    You should be able to safely equal or better 1200fps with a 200 grain bullet.