In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

colt woodsman sport pre-war

ricarica Member Posts: 2 ✭✭
edited September 2010 in Ask the Experts
I have a colt woodsman sport series-1. I am confused about some markings on the gun, on the left side of the trigger guard there are two markings, an X over a P and the P is inside of a triangle. On the right side of the trigger guard is the number 99. Does anyone know what these items indicate? My serial number is 1038xx. Also I have the original leather holster and two clips; I am wondering if these items add any significant value to the firearm?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    The letters and marks are both assembler stamps and Proof marks P . The rear grip frame right where the web of your hand there should be a fingernail size area with either straight lines or a Checkered pattern this will denote if it is for standard velocity ammo ONLY or Ok to shoot High Velocity ammo
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Your Woodsman's DOM is 1936. The value of the pistol and it's accessories would depend on factory originality and cosmetic condition. If you could post quality photos it would help us advise on identification and valuation. Do to the firearms restrictions in Mexico, it's likely that it would have much greater value their then in the U.S.
  • Options
    JudgeColtJudgeColt Member Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The mark to which you refer is Colt's "Verified Proof" mark, which is a "V" and "P" run together inside an inverted triangle. That mark was applied after the firearm had passed all tests and was ready to ship.

While there are vintage leather collectors, usually a holster will not add value to a firearm. If the magazines are "temperline" two-tone" magazines, they have significant value. Even if they are full blue, but genuine Pre-War Colt magazines, they are still worth quite a bit.

The Sport Model was introduced after the switch was made to high speed ammunition, so no Sport Model should have the checkered "thumb print" on the main spring housing.