In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

AP ammo 30-06 & 7.62x39

NOAHNOAH Member Posts: 9,690
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
what is 7.62x39 AP ammo worth these days

also have 30-06 AP what is the going rate???

i took the jackets off the bullets and it is AP

thank you

7.62x39 has a # 31 over 67

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Don't know about the 30-06? The 7.62 X 39, is the old Chinese corrosive military ammo. With the copper washed steel cases. The bullet is also steel jacketed, with a lead coated steel core.

Bought boxes of the stuff at a flea market. 10 round loaded SKS stripper clips. Thought I hit the jackpot! Couldn't even sell it. None of the locals knew what it was. Just SKS ammo to them.

If you want to sell the stuff at a premium. Your going to have to hunt up some of the tacicool dudes. Who know what it is. And how the feds have banned it's importation, and commercial sale.

Your probably going to have to sell it locally. Selling it on the auction, would be chancy. I'm sure some of the commy states like CA & MA have all kinds of laws banning it's sale.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You want to research this in ATF P5300.4.

My recollection is that you can legally sell only USGI .30-06 & 7.62 mm NATO AP ammo, but it's been a long time since I looked that up. We don't know what you have since you failed to provide us with photos or a description of the ammo & headstamp.

I've seen USGI .30-06 M2 black tip AP sell for up to $1/round; it's almost as accurate as NM ammo. But, realistically, I would hope to get $.50-.75/round if I were selling it.

Neal
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by NOAH
    what is 7.62x39 AP ammo worth these days

also have 30-06 AP what is the going rate???

i took the jackets off the bullets and it is AP

thank you

7.62x39 has a # 31 over 67

If it's the Chinese copper washed stuff? My wag it's factory #31, made in 1967.

Don't shoot it in Yugo SKS's or Ruger Mini 30's. Had a guy at work shoot it in his Mini 30, without cleaning it after. With the expected results.
  • Options
    CheechakoCheechako Member Posts: 563 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Neither 7.62x39 AP nor 7.62mm AP can be imported, or sold by an FFL. They can be privately owned. There are no restrictions on Cal .30 (30-06) AP.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    When I was in, black tipped 30-06 ammo was M-1 Ball 173gr.
    M2 150 gr ball was unmarked and was restricted by directive for target practice only,not combat.
    This was all corrosive WW2 stuff as as was the steel canned beer with rust flakes in it.
  • Options
    RadarRadar Member Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    And both would go right thru you !quote:Originally posted by v35
    M2 150 gr ball was unmarked and was restricted by directive for target practice only,not combat.
    This was all corrosive WW2 stuff as as was the steel canned beer with rust flakes in it.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I shot lots of pulled Black Tips, they did ok, not nearly as well as the pulled boattails though.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35

Cal .30 (30-06) black tip bullets are AP, not Ball. AP bullets weighed a nominal 165 grains. In mid 1943 AP and Tracer replaced Ball for combat use but Ball was still considered an alternate.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I guess after 60+ years my recollection is faulty but I did have a directive stating black tip only was to be used for combat.
    And I believe it was boat tailed.
    It came either in metal linked belts or Garand clips, not loose.
    My Chinese is 71 marked, steel core but I read it was not a hardened penetrator. Anyway, the preppies seem to want it.
    In the GB Auction section it went for a premium at one time.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Cal 30 (30-06) AP was flat base. As was Tracer. I think what you may be remembering was the Cal .30 Ball M1 that had a boat tail 173 grain bullet. It was discontinued in 1940, replaced by the Ball M2.