In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Mepro 21 or Aimpoint H1?

GemJediGemJedi Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
I just bought my first rifle, a Beretta Cx4 9mm for home defense. I am considering an optic and have narrowed it down to two.

I like the Mepro 21 because it does not require a battery so is therefore ready for use at anytime without pushing any buttons. I also like that it is battle tested by Israel, increasing the size of any news article showing Israeli soldiers, you can clearly see the Mepro 21 on their rifles. On the downside, I wonder how bright the light collectors are for indoor use, which for home defense, is my most likely scenario.

The Aimpoint H1 is much smaller and lighter so I believe that to be a benefit over the Mepro 21. I also wonder if the battery operated optic would be brighter indoors where I am most likely to use it. The five year life on the battery is nice, and would allow the optic to be on at all times ready for use, but still requires monitoring.

Please give me your thoughts.

Comments

• Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have some of the same questions.
    Long (unused) battery life is nice but is there enough capacity for a lengthy confrontation?
    Battery change in the dark handling small pieces doesn't sound good.
    Considering these issues, the battery free sight may be the best choice.
    A battery free sight with an aux battery for darkest conditions might be even better if one exists.
    Still the Israelis have their lives on the line and have evaluated the best ordnance and accoutrements.
    I'd probably go with their choice
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Most of the folks I know who knock down doors in the early hours of the morning like to have a mini flashlight mounted on their gun, clamped in a bracket so that their rounds will hit approximately in the center of the beam.

Neal
  • Options
    GemJediGemJedi Member Posts: 120 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I do intend to have a flashlight on the rifle. But because this is self-defense and not law enforcement, I will not necessarily choose the time of day for using it. I therefore still want an optic for non-flashlight times of day.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can't speak to the Mepro, never having tried it, though I'm sure its more than adequate.

On the Aimpoint H1, its plenty visible indoors. In fact its brighter indoors than out.

What many people do with these is leave them on all the time, switching out batteries (needed or not) once per year.

Do that, and you'll never have an issue with battery failure.