In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

impact range of 12 ga slugs

badchrisbadchris Member Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
I would like to know the maximum distance a 12 gauge slug could travel, if that's what you were trying to do. Our hunt club is being questioned by "concerned citizens". My guess about 2 miles, but would like to see data before we tell them anything that is wrong.

I tried to get an answer from Winchester about their rifled slugs but was told that data is proprietary. Remington has yet to answer.
Copy & past of my email:

Question:
I would like to know the maximum danger range of the following products.
X123RS15
X12RS15
I am not looking for ethical hunting ranges, but for the absolute maximum range of impact.

Answer: The information you requested is considered proprietary information and is not published, sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks Charlie, I saw what you are pointing out in the Field & Stream book. I like the PA data that includes the distance plus ricochet.

Txs, good chart. Thank you.

Pip, we did the same thing and built elevated stands, but some still like to sit at ground level or stalk.

Beantown, I am looking for the "worst case" up to and including negligent discharge at 45 degrees. That is what the citizens are worried about. It's our hunting property and here in Ohio we have to use single projectile for deer.
Enemies of armed self-defense focus on the gun. They ignore the person protected with that gun.

Comments

• Options
    TxsTxs Member Posts: 18,801
    edited November -1
    Supposedly...

Maximum range of a standard 12 ga. 1 oz. slug load is around 1,100 yards. However, a 380-400 gr sabot slug will travel out to around 3,000 yards.

It's not really extensive, but you may find this max range chart from ATK helpful.

http://le.atk.com/downloads/technical_bulletins/MaximumRanges.pdf

EDIT:

Determining potential range impact zones and taking proper mitigation steps is important.

A few years back I assisted with planning upgrades for an existing range that had just been purchased. Just over 1 mile downrange we located an abandoned metal barn that had been literally riddled with 5.56 projectiles from that range over the years. Some of these bullets had lodged in the exterior wall, but the majority had fully penetrated.

Let's be careful out there.
  • Options
    Tailgunner1954Tailgunner1954 Member Posts: 7,734 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by badchris
    My guess about 2 miles, but would like to see data before we tell them anything that is wrong.

quote:Originally posted by Txs
    Maximum range of a standard 12 ga. 1 oz. slug load is around 1,100 yards. However, a 380-400 gr sabot slug will travel out to around 3,000 yards.

5280 feet/mile or 1320 yards/mile
    1,100yd = just under 7/8 mile
    2 miles = 2640yd
    3,000yd = 2 1/4+ miles

The next thing to consider is the wind, tail wind = longer distance, head wind = shorter distance, 90^cross wind = same distance but off to one side
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I understand the reasoning behind the question, though I'd just like to inject a bit of reality here as well.

"Maximum range" is a different thing than "maximum harmful range".

Realistically, most people aren't going to be firing their gun at a perfect 45 degree angle into the air to achieve maximum theoretical range. There is no reason to EVER do that, short of negligence.

Also, the further you get the lower the velocity and the less the danger. While a big heavy slug can still potentially do a lot of damage even at relatively low velocities, once you get out to 1000 yards, velocity and energy are WAY low.

Lastly, if you're trying to limit potentially dangerous range, using shot (rather than slugs) is the best way to do that.
  • Options
    Laredo LeftyLaredo Lefty Member Posts: 13,451 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by Tailgunner1954
    quote:Originally posted by badchris
    My guess about 2 miles, but would like to see data before we tell them anything that is wrong.

quote:Originally posted by Txs

5280 feet/mile or 1320 yards/mile
    1,100yd = just under 7/8 mile
    2 miles = 2640yd
    3,000yd = 2 1/4+ miles

The next thing to consider is the wind, tail wind = longer distance, head wind = shorter distance, 90^cross wind = same distance but off to one side

Math does not jive.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,631 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    a lot further than anyone thinks.
    our area had same issues with concerned neighbors that bought from out of state and then tried to stop our using lands for hunting, we all have setup stands so our projectiles are heading towards the ground when firing instead of upward in the air.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    HerschelHerschel Member Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I went to school in a small town in south AR. There I learned
    that there are 1,760 yards in a mile.
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,179 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Impact Range is how far it'll go, right? And being able to hit it way out there is another story. Add in luck, Coriolis Effect, wind and Thor in Orion's Belt.

My local gun range at Laguna Seca a "person" stated two bullets buzzed by on the race track couple of years back. Some how the bullets managed to crest over a hill from the firing line. The shooter had to be on their belly and avoid hitting the roof line to make the shots. My guess is the dude wanted time on the track but couldn't because the range was open.
  • Options
    1873man1873man Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Years ago My dad was in a elevated deer stand and a group including me and some neighbors were lining up to start a drive from a road. My dad saw a deer stick his head out from the brush in the direction of the road and thought he was firing down into the ground and it shouldn't be a problem. Apparently it ricochet and it hit in the ditch where we were standing. That was 1/3 of a mile away.
    NRA Life Member
    Cody Firearms Member
    Winchester Arms Collectors Association Life member
    73_86cutaway.jpg