In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Cutting a pistol bbl?

EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
Okay please feel free to give me the whole truth and nothing but the truth. [8D]

I have a Ruger Super Blackhawk. It is my Dads pistol. It has the 10.5 in bbl. Just what is needed for me to cut 2 inches off this baby?

It is not that I want to cut it down but it has been sitting in a holster and got something on or in the holster that ate away the end of the bbl. I cleaned it up as best as I could and the last bit of rifling is just flat gone. I know enough that I cant swap the bbl myself, but cutting the end off MAY be in my abilities.

I was thinking cutting it off square. Re-crown and replace the sight. Would 2 inches be enough to cause problems with the site? Like it height or what?
Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    No need to cut the barrel. Just freebore the last two inches. It only takes a reamer and a power drill.
  • Options
    spas12spas12 Member Posts: 571 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would contact ruger, they might fix it for free.
  • Options
    b0400879b0400879 Member Posts: 256 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dear fellow,
    A sad tale, but do hope that it finds a good ending.
    1st: Do you have the proper skills/machinery?
    Then: Let the hard lesson BE LEARNED: NEVER STORE ANY FIREARM IN LEATHER.
    Period.
    quote:Originally posted by spas12
    I would contact ruger, they might fix it for free. I know enough that I cant swap the bbl myself, but cutting the end off MAY be in my abilities.

Please do contact Ruger, as THIS is by far the best approach - unless you've the proper metalworking skills/tools on hand.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would go shoot it and see what it does first.

Ruger would be worth a try. E-mail is cheap.

Counter-boring could be an option.
  • Options
    v35v35 Member Posts: 12,710 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Cutting and finishing to a more common length like 5 1/2-7 12 might
    make it more handy.
    The barrel should be lathe cut and finished and the sight silver soldered. The barrel would need rebluing afterward.
    Installing a new barrel might be more economical.
    Try Ruger.
  • Options
    EhlerDaveEhlerDave Member Posts: 5,158 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    So I take it no cutting torch and a grinder to do this the right way? [8D]

I will ask Dad about calling Ruger, if not a machine shop will do the cutting for me so it is square.

Thanks for the help guys.

The pistol was not in leather I think it was a Uncle Mikes nylon, what ever got in it seems to have melted the inside. Because it was hanging up the "crud" was in the end of the holster. Would be nice to know just what he got in that thing to eat up the metal like it did.

No matter what it was it sure made a mess.
    Just smile and say nothing, let them guess how much you know.
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by v35
    Cutting and finishing to a more common length like 5 1/2-7 12 might
    make it more handy.
    The barrel should be lathe cut and finished and the sight silver soldered. The barrel would need rebluing afterward.
    Installing a new barrel might be more economical.
    Try Ruger.

^ This
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    EhlerDave,

The proper method involves using a lathe to cut the barrel square to the bore line and putting on a proper crown for best performance. This is not a place for amateur methods.

Replacing the barrel by yourself involves using a lathe to time the barrel also.

Get someone familiar with these procedures in order to get the best results. This includes silver soldering the sight.

Best.
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The melted holster residue may be all that's wrong with the bore. Try scrubbing the bad part of the rifling weith 0000 steel wool wrapped around a cleaning brush, or with a stainless bore brush before you cut it. You might be surprised. If not, no harm done.
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,062 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I agree with Dave try cleaning then call ruger they are great with fixing gun owners mistakes