In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Phoenix Arms 22 Auto

mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
How about the reliability of these? I want something to carry now that I'm in a wheelchair for the time being, not too expensive if I get bushwhacked from behind and robbed, but reliable. A throwdown or throwaway if you will. All legal on my part.

Comments

• Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    "Throwdown" guns are something that will get you in much trouble! And it's not legal.
    Regardless, the Phoenix guns are the last I would recommend for defense.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not bet my life on anything less than a properly loaded 38 Special from a good quality maker. Used would be fine if it's in good shape. And it would be on me not on the wheelchair, that holds the scabbard.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is nothing illegal about having an inexpensive gun that won't cause you a lot of grief if it breaks or get lost.

That said, I wouldn't rely on a .22 of ANY kind for self defense, and I certainly wouldn't rely on THAT one.

I agree 100% with Charliemeyer. Unless you MUST have a gun so small it will fit into a shirt pocket (which doesn't sound like its the case with you and your wheelchair), there is no reason to go "lesser" than a 38 special.

If you're patient on the auction site, you can still pick up a Ruger p89 9mm auto for under $250 (perhaps WELL under) and although not much to LOOK at, its quite a good gun for the money. You can probably find a good Smith revolver for not that much more, and again, FAR better than any .22 (let alone Phoenix's one).
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
  • Options
    mackcranemackcrane Member Posts: 1,869 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks fellows, I remember things written about Pheonix several years back now. I like wheel guns anyway and carried a Smith 42 back when, but don't want to lose the Old Timer if this O.T. gets bushwhacked by the bad guys until I get better use of my legs. I wondered if the sub-sonic 22s with the improved expansion bullets would be good for self-defense? With Arthritis, recoil is a big concern of mine.
  • Options
    FatstratFatstrat Member Posts: 9,147
    edited November -1
    I suppose it would be better than nothing. And as with most all of the "Pac Rim" .22 semi auto pistols, there are ways to improve the reliability. Polishing the ramps & slide surfaces etc. Google it.
    And for SD, I would recommend using quality (IE: CCI) solid point ammo.
  • Options
    KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I wouldn't recommend one for defense for two reasons, first its a 22LR, second is it is single-action amd would need to be carried "cocked and locked" in order to be ready to fire and the HP22 doesn't have a hammer lock like the 1911. I've had one for years and its been super-reliable, but its not a gun I'd carry
  • Options
    nyforesternyforester Member Posts: 2,575 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have one.......buy something bigger, and different !
    Abort Cuomo
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If you really want a small auto....Berettas are still the best.

MVC-005F-1.jpg

Neal