In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester model 70 Supergrade Hornet

litetriggerlitetrigger Member Posts: 320 ✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
I came across a Win. 70 22 Hornet supergrade that is all correct except that the floorplate does not say "Supergrade" Could it leave the factory that way, or did someone find a SG stock and do a switch? Do you think that Winchester records would help? If so has anyone any information on how to get that info? Thanks Litetrigger

Comments

• Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    does the underside of the barrel say super grade? I have seen some SG marked as such
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    I've seen a couple of Super Grades with standard floor plates, but can not swear they where authentic. As Dokey says, take it out of the stock and look at the bottom of the barrel.
    W.D.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    Sounds fishy. I'd be scrutinizing that rifle. So many fakes out there.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Winchester was quite proud of their work, and all factory original Super Grade rifles were marked on the floor plate. Either the stock has been swapped, or the original floor plate hi-graded off of the rifle. Regardless of which scenario is true, there are no surviving records that can be used to verify how it originally left the factory. My guess is a restocked standard grade rifle.