In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.300 AAC Blackout for hunting whitetails?

jethro75jethro75 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
just picked up a Ruger American in .300 Blackout. 16" Barrel. I was thinking it would make a nice light gun to carry when I go for long walks. But would it be ok for sitting in my tree stand too? where I can get a 200-250 yard shot. Suggested ammo?

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    I would make sure to go to a range no matter what ammo you go with and shoot a group at 50 yards another at 100 yards /150 yards /200 yards and 250 yards IMHO 250 yards is streaching the limit on a 300 Blackout
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    IMO 200-250 yards is really pushing it for a round like that.

The problem is that this is a relatively low-velocity rifle round, something like a 30-30. Conventional wisdom on these is that they're for 150 yards or less.

Once you get out to 200 yards (let alone much more), SMALL differences in distance translate into pretty BIG differences in point of impact. Given normal "wobble" at 200 yards, even a small mis-estimation of range can mean the difference between a clean hit and a poor one or a total miss. Also, energy tends to drop off at 200 yards+ so you have less margin for error.

I wouldn't say you "can't" do it, but I personally wouldn't. This round simply isn't meant for that kind of shot. If you know you're likely to take a shot at that kind of range, there are better choices available.

In terms of specific ammo, I can't recommend one, but I'd say any load with a 100-125 grain "deer" bullet is probably fine, especially at normal ranges.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    i just bought two boxs of supersonic 300blk 120gr remington at 16.44+tax a box. 120gr open tip flat base bullets, i,ll be trying them tommow. my rifle is the ACC modified remington seven, mr myopic.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You didn't mention a scope in your posts? If I was sitting in a stand, anticipating a 250 shot. With a 300 Blackout. I would put the best honking scope, I could afford on the Ruger.

The 300 Blackout because of it's limited powder capacity. Doesn't even match 30-30 ballistics with similar weight bullets. Using factory loads.

Ask yourself, would you be taking 250 yard shot from a stand. Using a Winchester Model 94.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    But would it be ok for sitting in my tree stand too? where I can get a 200-250 yard shot. Suggested ammo?

Considering you have ZERO experience with the cartridge and it's trajectory, I'd say NO. I have a couple of 300AAC of the AR sort and intend to use one or both during the "alternate methods" season BUT I have no intentions of trying ANY shot over 150 with 100 or less as the preference.
    One of my BO's likes the factory 110 V-Max but it's not a game bullet. The other likes the 208 grain A-Max, also not a game load. I had to compromise accuracy to achieve what I consider an acceptable level of bullet performance. I do have doubts about any bullet described as "open tip" since this is generally an attribute of a match or paper punching bullet.
    The 300AAC and the quite similar(ballistics wise) 7.62x39 sort of "fall on their faces" after about 150 yards both in trajectory and energy so extreme care should be exercised with their use past that distance.
  • Options
    jethro75jethro75 Member Posts: 67 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    That's right mobuck, I don't have any experience with this caliber. We aren't allowed to use semi autos to hunt here in PA, so the 300 Blackout is a fairly new Caliber in the deer woods here. I had doubts of its performance at any longer distance. Sounds like I am best to carry something else to the deer stand. Thanks for all your input.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    my 300blk ACC modified bolt action rem model seven is very light with a compact 4x scope and came to me at a very,very good price and the hornady 110,s are clocking 2310fps and hold 1-1.5 three shot groups at 100yds from a rest, the rem shells i bought at walmart are 120gr at 2200 fps. as soon as i get my reloading dies i will try 125 nosler BT,s and 150gr nosler BT, i don,t consider the 300 blk a long distance hunting round, maybe a 100-125 yard from a good rest to put your bullet into the right spot. as a light weight rifle for walking-hunting at close range is what use i will put it to. eastbank.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,808 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    While my experiences may be different from the norm, I found my rifles are picky about their ammo. Accuracy ranges from cloverleafs to paper plate sized groups depending on bullet weight. POI shifts are radical and inconsistent. A recent shooting session using 110, 125, 150 and 220 grain bullets had groups all over a 24" square target. Some way left, some way low, and others just here and there. Different 110 grain bullet groups landed 6-8" apart. Maybe I'm just not getting the details right because I'm trying to "hunt and peck" and find something that works w/o wasting time and components doing "load ladders" and such.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    jethro75,

I think this merits a much longer answer but I'm under some time constraints so it will have to wait.

Everyone has an opinion whether based on fact or just plain supposition. The necessary part of this is to test yourself, the ammunition, the rifle and the scope at every range you intend to shoot. Let the results guide you in your decision as to whether or not to use it for hunting.

Here is a good solid review of ammunition for the 300 Blackout:

http://www.shootingtimes.com/ammo/ultimate-300-aac-blackout-ammo-test/

The first four manufacturers use the same bullet which IS recommended for hunting. There is no need to read the others in that list.

We built and tested a properly built rifle chambered for the 300 Blackout and used it during the deer season. Eight shots, eight deer all within the 200 yard limit we put on the hunters. Note that this was not a factory rifle but rather a custom built rifle with a top-of-the-line barrel. It would hold group after group with the load we developed right at 1/2" at 100 yards. We used a Vortex Viper scope for all testing and hunting.

Best.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ...And don't forget to use a watermelon in your tests! They will always tell you if you can or cannot kill something.[;)][:D] At the range at which you intend to shoot.