In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

.450 Buchmaster??

my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
I am thinking of having a bolt action or pump action rifle made in .450 Bushmaster. What other calibers have the same bolt face, so I know what caliber rifle I need to buy so I can get this project started.
Thanks for your time and info!!
Vernon

Comments

• Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    According to WIKI, the parent case is the .284 Winchester, so any .473" ('06) boltface will work.

A short action like .243 or .308 would be a good choice, I think.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by MG1890
    According to WIKI, the parent case is the .284 Winchester, so any .473" ('06) boltface will work.

A short action like .243 or .308 would be a good choice, I think.

It's been a long time, but I believe that the .284 Winchester. Is what called a rebated case. That means the body is substantially larger in diameter than the rim.

Be sure to get a pro gunsmith involved in the build. To forestall feeding problems with the oddball case.

THE BUSHMASTER IS THE BIG ONE ON THE RIGHT.

AR15-Ammo-4.jpg
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a 350 Rem Mag blown out to 45 cal. by PO Ackley. It is in a 600 Remington and weight 5.25 pounds loaded with the sling. It has full peeps for sights.

I have a Mexican small ring Mauser in 45-70. It weighs about 6# loaded with the sling, it also has full peeps.

The nice part of 45 cal. rifles is cast bullets can do anything a jacketed bullet can do except cost as much to shoot.

Top loads in the 45-350 are a hand full, most folks will only shoot it once. Top load in the 45-70 they might shoot a second round and perhaps the 3rd from a full magazine. I don't remember anyone asking for more ammo.

I would almost always shoot the box of 50, sometimes as much as 200 in a day chasing bunnies and picket pens. You never know when a rouge one will turn up - pays to have enough gun.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by charliemeyer007
    I have a 350 Rem Mag blown out to 45 cal. by PO Ackley. It is in a 600 Remington and weight 5.25 pounds loaded with the sling. It has full peeps for sights.

Took a guy I use to work with, to a local range. He bought one of the original Remington carbines, in 350 Rem Mag,( laminated stock). At a local pawn shop, and couldn't wait to shoot it. Less than a box shot, and his shoulder looked like uncooked hamburger. He called it a day. You da man Charlie. I would be a candidate for the emergency room. If I even tried to put 20 rounds through one of your rifles.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    my-handyman,

First and foremost it is a CARTRIDGE not a caliber since caliber denoted diameter and not the cartridge description.

Now, since you are looking into a non-typical cartridge how about a non-typical pump rifle:

http://www.remingtonle.com/rifles/7600.htm

Be aware that this cartridge headspaces on the mouth of the case like the .30 carbine or .45 ACP.

The standard tubular fed pump will be an abomination to rig up to feed this cartridge. Using standard AR mags, feeding will consist of shaping the feed lips on the magazines to the cartridge and replacing the barrel. The barrel might be a little tough but not insurmountable.

If Savage made the Model 99 in .284, this also could be an option although that magazine will not lend itself to be straightened out for the straight wall cartridge easily.

Your least expensive alternative is to use a bolt action rifle. Getting the cartridges to feed will still be the largest issue but much more simple than the other choices.

Best.
  • Options
    my-handymanmy-handyman Member Posts: 298 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Gentlemen: I want to say Thanks for all the info and for your time to reply!! I will be using info from each post for this build!
    Thanks Again!
    Vern