In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rebarreling a Marlin 1892 RF

toad67toad67 Member Posts: 13,019 ✭✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have an old Marlin 1892 in 22 lr that has a slight bulge in the barrel and was wondering what all went into re barreling an old lever rimfire gun? I found a barrel and thought about swapping the old one out. Thanks.

Todd

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Never did that one. First is getting the old barrel off. Bubba has been around for the 100+ years. Black power corrosion from the early days could have worked it's way into the threads. Barrel vice and action wrench aren't often universal items; best fit is almost always a specific item. Often several wrenches and a shoe box or two of bushings for the vice. Or it could screw right off after a little Kroil time and perhaps some heat.

Cut outs for the magazine tube in the same place and same size, design changes happen. Then there is if the barrel will index and can you make it work if it doesn't.

It could go as easy as changing the barrel on an 870 to a real nightmare. I'd say your gunsmith will earn their money and it shouldn't be that expensive to have it done NEW damage free.
  • Options
    asphalt cowboyasphalt cowboy Member Posts: 8,904 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Dollar wise you may be ahead having it relined.
  • Options
    GeriGeri Member Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Duh, never thought of a reline. Can any one recommend someone, and a rough cost estimate? Thanks, and happy T-day!
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    how bad is bulge. have seen a few that still shot well.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by mmppres
    how bad is bulge. have seen a few that still shot well.

.010" on the outside of the barrel. I sold it on the auction side and didn't notice it. I plan to shoot it when I get it back.
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    shoot it as that should not bother a 22