In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Looking for Info On .410 Slugs

gstompkinsgstompkins Member Posts: 12 ✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
Originally posted this in the wanted section. Got a reply that suggested I post it here as well. The following is a copy and paste.

"Posting this in conjunction to my post on a Lyman #39538 bullet mold which is supposed to produce a .395 diameter bullet. I started looking at .410 slug info on the Internet and found that some were actually .395 in diameter instead of .410. However, I have not been able to find a source for .395 slugs or a mold that will produce a .395 slug. Any help would be appreciated!!!"

Comments

• Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1
    did you look at some of the mold makers on the net,,have one made
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Back in the 70's I worked up loads for my Savage 24 22/410 using 3" aluminum cases from the military survival rifle. 5 .383 cast round balls would print in interlocking holes at 40 yards. The barrel was marked full choke and the .383 ball would just drop threw the choke. I cut my own wads, and used small roll crimp and water glass to retain the over shot wad.

There are custom bullet mold makers around.

You might consider swedging up a 9mm stuff or down 40 Cal. A third option would be a sabot for an 8mm.

A 45-70 would make a better 410 IMHO. My 45-350 Rem mag gets about 2400 fps with shot and patterns really nice to boot. I think due to the quick twist in the barrel and the slipping between the 410 power piston and the 44 cal. Thompson Center Hotshot capsule.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    There is a outfit in MN that specializes in all things shotgun related.

Years ago I bought 12 gauge slugs for reloading from them. Along with other shotgun related supplies. The also have all kinds of manuals and instruction books on reloading slugs. Link below.

http://www.ballisticproducts.com/

You have to take into account. That a .395 diameter bullet is going to be much heavier, that a .395 diameter hollow base shotgun slug. Because shotguns are built for low pressure loads. You are going to have to reduce substantially the velocity of the .395 bullet. To stay safe pressure wise.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    A bit of clarification to my post. Currently shooting a .395 round ball in a Turner Kirkland (Dixie) replica Kentucky/Pennsylvania .40 Cal squirrel(?) rifle. They are essentially wheel weight mix and average about 92 gr. They also group reasonably well but are essentially a curve ball in their flight path. Happened to read an article about somebody who had acquired a Lyman #39538 mold which produced a .395 semi mini ball type bullet. Claimed it was highly accurate so I decided to look for that mold. Apparently it is very obscure and probably not available, check out the photo.

My search for info on a .395 slug was to see if there was a commercially available product that could somewhat replicate the semi mini ball idea. Yes, already contacted an outfit that would make a custom mold. However, the set up charges were rather substantial and currently do not fit my frugal (cheapskate) mentality.
    39538_zpswsdiq4ja.jpg
  • Options
    mmppresmmppres Member Posts: 3,054 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    get on one of the lead cast bullet sites an let them know what you want they will help you out
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by gstompkins

A bit of clarification to my post. Currently shooting a .395 round ball in a Turner Kirkland (Dixie) replica Kentucky/Pennsylvania .40 Cal squirrel(?) rifle. They are essentially wheel weight mix and average about 92 gr. They also group reasonably well but are essentially a curve ball in their flight path. Happened to read an article about somebody who had acquired a Lyman #39538 mold which produced a .395 semi mini ball type bullet. Claimed it was highly accurate so I decided to look for that mold. Apparently it is very obscure and probably not available, check out the photo.

My search for info on a .395 slug was to see if there was a commercially available product that could somewhat replicate the semi mini ball idea. Yes, already contacted an outfit that would make a custom mold. However, the set up charges were rather substantial and currently do not fit my frugal (cheapskate) mentality.
    39538_zpswsdiq4ja.jpg

Muzzleloaders with rifled barrels, meant to be used with a patched round ball. Are made purposely with slow twist barrels.

You might encounter accuracy problems using a heavier conical bullet. Meant to be fired without a patch. From a barrel with a faster twist?

I would go to one of the cast bullits forums. To see if you can get some 40 caliber conicals to experiment with. You might just be spinning your wheels? Trying to get a accurate conical bullet load, from a rifle made to fire patched round balls.
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    edited November -1
    After some research (Internet snooping) I ran across a seller on GunBroker who sells a .398 x 135 gr. bullet that looks just like what I am looking for. Bought a box of 50 to check them out. Here is a link to that seller in case anybody may be interested in any of his product: http://www.GunBroker.com/All/BI.aspx...Sellers=805243
  • Options
    fordsixfordsix Member Posts: 8,722
    edited November -1