In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Winchester 70 pre 64 receiver

DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
Aside from the size of the bolt face and extractor, are the win 70 pre 64 receivers the same for both the standard and magnum calibers?

Comments

• Options
    XXCrossXXCross Member Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Physically they are the same size, however the bolt stop is located farther back in the magnums and there is a difference in the length of the magazine. There is also some difference in the cut-out in the rear receiver bridge to accommodate the longer ctgs.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    I believe the bolt stop hits against a rib on the extractor collar. The different extractor collars have different length ribs. The abutments in the receiver are all the same I believe.
  • Options
    AmbroseAmbrose Member Posts: 3,164 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You have asked about the receivers but since you mentioned bolt face and extractor, I am guessing you mean the action. And do you mean the "short" magnums or the H&H? But I'm afraid the answer is no in any case due, in addition to what has been mentioned, to the feed rails being milled into the receiver on M70's. A .30/06 cartridge may feed just fine through an action made for the .264 cartridge (or vice-versa), but you can't count on it.

EDIT: I have a .264 as well as a .30/06 and a .270 (all pre-64). I'll try to swap cartridges around to see if they will feed OK. I'll let you know.

EDIT: I have not as yet had the chance to check cross-feeding actions but have researched in Roger Rule's book. There are three receivers: Standard, H&H, and short magnum. The short mag differs from the standard by having a wider magazine well. The magazine box and follower are also different as well as things that have already been mentioned.
  • Options
    pwilliepwillie Member Posts: 20,253 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have several Model 70's...and my gunsmith asked for magnum rifles when I had the barrels changed to Hart barrels for Weatherby cartridges..He would only use the magnum recievers...Classic rifles with the boss system..
  • Options
    DokeyDokey Member Posts: 941 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have a pre 64 winchester 70 barrel in .264 Mag and I'm looking for an action, but want to make sure I get the right one