In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

1885 High Wall

ladygunslingersladygunslingers Member Posts: 18 ✭✭
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
I traded for a 1885 High Wall last night and I am looking for verification on what I was told about the rifle and any other information that would help with a good description.
It's my understanding that this firearm was built by John Browning while he WAS NOT working for Winchester. It is stamped with Patent date Oct 7 79 on the lower tang. The serial number is 44457 and that serial number is one of several missing (Blue Book of Gun Values) during 1904-1905. I was told that John Browning built this gun after he left Winchester but before he went to work for Colt when he was self employed for a short time. The caliber is 7x57 rimmed. It is a round 22" barrel and I was told not original to the gun. The butt plate has been replaced with a brown rubber WhiteLine. I will be listing it here on GunBroker, but I wanted to verify my information first.

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    Looking to build a high wall in 30-40 krag. What is the best replica actiion to use? Do not want to use an original. Thanks.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    wait for answer from BERT H
    or send him a personal email just double click on his name he will know if anyone
  • Options
    CapnMidnightCapnMidnight Member Posts: 8,520
    edited November -1
    Young lady, you need desperately to read some history on John Mosses Browning.
    Mr Browning did not work for Winchester, and damn sure didn't work for Colt.
    W.D.
  • Options
    eastbankeastbank Member Posts: 4,215
    edited November -1
    winchester loved dealing with JMB, they paid JMB right out for the rifle. i think the break up with winchester came because winchester would not pay royalties and JMB went to FN, i never read or heard any thing about colt. mr myopic.
  • Options
    MG1890MG1890 Member Posts: 4,649
    edited November -1
    You have been fed a line of poo.

It was built by Winchester. John Browning never touched it.

List it as a Winchester 1885 (technically incorrect, but it will get lots of "hits".

Don't bother with the story, anybody bidding on this will know more about it than you do.[:D]
  • Options
    cranky2cranky2 Member Posts: 3,236 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the Winchester collectors web site DOM is 1890
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thank you guys so much. You guys can be kind of brutal. I bet the receiver is worth the $175 I paid for it. Just look at all I learned by posting a simple question. My expertise is teaching beginners how to handle modern pistols for personal defense. I've never really been interested in the collectibles, But I knew where to come to get some reliable information. Thank you.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Geez, for $175, you stole it.
    The 7x57R barrel is kind of a novelty. I wonder if the firing pin was bushed to handle it.

But the John Browning legend is nonsense.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    My BS alarm was going off - obviously. Glad it was. I have a bunch of odd ball stuff I plan on listing in the next few weeks. Some TC stuff in odd calibers, this, and a left handed 222 Ackley Savage. Need to move it before tax time. Again. Thank y'all!!
  • Options
    the yooperthe yooper Member Posts: 275 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    From the Browning timeline posted by forgemonkey, Colt did indeed market several Browning firearms. Possibly the technical definition of "worked for Colt" was not met - I don't know - but they certainly had a working relationship of some kind over several years.
    yooper
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by the yooper
    From the Browning timeline posted by forgemonkey, Colt did indeed market several Browning firearms. Possibly the technical definition of "worked for Colt" was not met - I don't know - but they certainly had a working relationship of some kind over several years.
    yooper

Colt bought the patents from John M. Browning, just like Winchester did, and FN did. JMB did had his own office at both Winchester and FN, but was never on the "payroll".