In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Rem 742

rongrong Member Posts: 8,459
edited November 2015 in Ask the Experts
Happy Thanks giving folks!

I have a chance to pick up a Rem 742
in 308 . Has anyone had any experience
with these rifles?
Thanks
ron

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    They are ok until the hardened bolt eats the receiver. Then they become a jam-o-matic. Low round count and good lube plus de-burring would help useful life. The ones I fooled with were -06's.
  • Options
    MIKE WISKEYMIKE WISKEY Member, Moderator Posts: 9,972 ******
    edited November -1
    check the top inside of teh receiver, any 'notches' or wear=junk
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Test fire for accuracy as well as function, prior to forking over the cash. If at all possible.

I had a 06 from the 50's. Not sure at this late date, if it was a 742 or an earlier model? Shot it at 100 with commercial ammo. Was sorely disappointed. Accuracy seemed to be in the AK 47 category. Got rid of it.
  • Options
    dcs shootersdcs shooters Member Posts: 10,969
    edited November -1
    Still have my 740 30-06 from early '60,s [;)]
    No problems so far. Still shoots 1 1/2 at 100 [^]
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Seems to be no noticeable wear
    on the inside top of the receiver
    and the rails don't appeared to be chewed
    up.
    We'll see as soon as I can find time to bench
    it out back.
    Thanks
  • Options
    Bottom GunBottom Gun Member Posts: 232 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I had a carbine version in .30-06 that I owned for over 30 yr. It was a great rifle. I shot it a lot and never had any issues with it. It preferred lighter bullets but also shot well with 180 and 200 gr. This rifle would shoot 1.5 MOA with the right loads. I just sold it last year. I wish I'd kept it.
    Mechanical engineers have their moments.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I would not touch a 742 rem with a 10 ft pole.
    Been their with the 742's and they are aggravators, now lots of obsolete NLA parts, and if the receiver area is bad the whole barrel and receiver is made together. Just because it operates good at the test bench when firing does not mean it's a good gun. Been their done that! If you've ha had a good gun with a smooth operating trigger pull you will immediately junk a 742 or not buy one. Lousy trigger pull and junk.
    AND I'm talking about guns that were bought new and well taken care of, not mistreated.
    and by the way I like guns.
    If Obama wants to really hurt us and not take away our guns he should request that all of us be required to only have Remington 742's, as many as you want. (and no knifes or bows and arrows or any other weapons)

nuff said:

NRA Member
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I guess you have an intense dislike for them Okie.
    BTW... "their" s/b "there"

The barrel comes off the receiver.
  • Options
    Okie743Okie743 Member Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by rong
    I guess you have an intense dislike for them Okie.
    BTW... "their" s/b "there"

The barrel comes off the receiver.

Don't really matter: You still have a POS in each hand when it does separate.
    Just trying to save you some aggravation.
    If you buy one (742) you will remember my opinion eventually. (it's a happening thing kinda like riding a motorcycle)