In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.

Thumbhole stock help

OakieOakie Member Posts: 40,519 ✭✭✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have purchased a bunch of stocks for my Different guns. The stocks are made by boyds. The guns function fine with the new stocks, until I try to load them. I find the bolt very hard to close on some. Other close fine. I don't see where they are hanging up. No marks or scratches in the stocks. I was going to make a paste out of chalk and see if i can find where they catch. What else could be the problem???? they came as completely finished stocks with no sanding needed. Guess they were wrong. What else should i look for??? Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated. Oakie

Comments

• charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    For binding issues check the screw length and springing the action by slowly tightening the screws (front middle end) from finger tight and checking often. Look at the fit of metal to wood just placing the barreled action into the stock, a strong light and a hand lens can help. A thin semi-stiff piece of plastic makes a good sliding along probe.

Old lipstick is good for detecting tight spots. It is what I use for inletting.
  • KAMsalesKAMsales Member Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    ^ this. Sometimes the receivers sit a little lower in aftermarket stocks and the screws will protrude into the action slightly.
  • tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have used several of those type stocks, for my Winchester Model 70 Classics. I have not found any that are completely drop in, but have always pillar bedded, and free floated the barrel. I have had exceptional results, after that. It is not real hard to do, and it gets easier the more of them you do.