In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

WWll Mauser 98K Ammo

aldo35aldo35 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
What was the standard bullet weight used in WWll 8mm rifle ammo?

Thanks

Aldo35

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Got this off the net.

The Infanteriepatrone 7,92mm (Infantry Cartridge 8mm) was used by the K98K rifle and other weapons. During World War II over ten billion of these rounds in various configurations were produced. The typical velocity of this round is 2500 fps with a projectile weight of 197.5 grains. Between 80% and 90% of all the 7,92x57mm ammunition produced was of the sS type(sS for Schweres Spitzgeschoss meaning heavy pointed bullet). The OAL cartridge length was 80.6 mm containing a power charge of 41.7 grains. The regular sS bullet had the following penetration performance:

Dry Pine Steel Plating Iron Plating
    Heavy Pointed Bullet 85cm at 100m 5mm at 100m 10mm at 300m
    65cm at 400m 3mm at 600m 7mm at 550m
    45cm at 800m
    10cm at 1800m
    The next most common type used was the SmK (Spitzgeschoss mit Kern meaning pointed bullet with core) bullet that weighed 177.5 grains and contained a hardened steel core.
  • Options
    aldo35aldo35 Member Posts: 120 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Hi,

Thanks of the info. I thought the reds were 174gr and my son claims 220, Nice compromise!

Aldo35
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I once bought some Norma 196 grain Match bullets, soft nose that were designed to replace pulled ball ammo. They would stick to a magnet, and they shot wonderfully.
  • Options
    beantownshootahbeantownshootah Member Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Standard WWII German load used a 12.8 gram bullet, which corresponds to the 197.53 grains mentioned above.

Most non-German 8mm also used this weight. . .but there are individual exceptions. EG, some of the WWII era Czech ammo has 170-175 grain bullets. I think some of the Polish ammo also used lighter bullets.

The Germans used a number of other specialty loads (armor piercing, tracer, explosive, etc) that used different bullet weights, but all of these were limited use only.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,827 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Aldo,
    It has been my experience, most of the German Mausers will shoot tighter groups with the 196gr or bullets in that range.

170gr which are often encountered here are not near as accurate.
  • Options
    Missouri Mule K30Missouri Mule K30 Member Posts: 2,092 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Turkish Mauser 1941 ammo, 155 at 3100 now that is moving...
  • Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    If you are really concerned with factual info, post the headstamp and any color codes on the round and I'll look it up in Daniel Kents' book of German 7.9mm military ammunition.

There are several different weights and loadings for German military cartridges.
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I can tell you this, I wish we could get those bullets reproduced for reloading. They were intended to remain stable out to 2500m.
  • Options
    chiefrchiefr Member Posts: 13,827 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by sandwarrior
    I can tell you this, I wish we could get those bullets reproduced for reloading. They were intended to remain stable out to 2500m.

As an 8x57 lover, I can tell you the only bullets that come close are Prvi Partisan's 196gr FMJBTs. I have tried many other brands and these bullets work for me.

In some original Mausers both Gew 98 and Model 98, I have achieved sub MOA groups in rifles considered inaccurate.