In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Colt Woodsman Match Target 3rd series

Dances With WolvesDances With Wolves Member Posts: 4 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
I have been offered one of these BUT. No extractor or worse broken extractor. I've seen an NRA piece to do with twisting it 180 degrees & pulling it out BUT if it's broken off & a piece of it's still in there , then what? Any suggestions certainly appreciated. THANKS

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Been a long time since I worked on one. Start by looking for a schematic and a replacement part. Not sure about a 3rd series.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufacturers/Colt-33188/AutoPistols-35748/SFrame-34913/WoodsmanMatchTarget-40417.htm
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    According to my instructions. The extractor is held in position by spring pressure only. There is a very small hole, behind the extractor hole. That contains a plunger and spring.

First thing you're going to have to find out? If the extractor/plunger/spring, are completely gone or not.

If it's just the extractor hook, that has been broken off? That means that you're going to have to get that out, without losing the plunger and it's spring.

I've done this in the past, other pistols. Using very small bladed jewelers screwdrivers, needlenose pliers and tweezers. Set up under a good light source, with the Colt on a large white bath towel. In case the spring/plunger, gets away from you.

EDIT #1

Got this off the net. This is the Model Woodsman, I was referencing in my post. I don't remember if the 3rd issue Woodsman, has the same extractor as the First issue, shown in the pic? Maybe Charlie has the picture, of the correct one?

1tgt_expl_words.jpg
  • Options
    SnigleySnigley Member Posts: 134 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    The Gun Parts link shows the parts diagram for a 3rd pattern Match Target. Unfortunately, it lists the extractor as sold out. Sometimes you can find these on Ebay. I collect Woodsman's, but have never had to replace an extractor. If I remember correctly, once you have the slide off the frame I don't think replacing the extractor is that big a deal. Just make sure you don't loose the extractor spring that's going to want to shoot across the room. Make sure you can find an extractor before you buy the gun. More than likely a 2nd series extractor would work as well.