In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Broken shell case

groundhog244groundhog244 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
edited December 2015 in Ask the Experts
The rifle is a Savage 222 over a 20 ga.(Model 24) The part that broke is the rimed end. This is about a 1/4 inch long. The biggest part of the case is still stuck in the chamber. I soak it with WD_40 and used a over size bore brush and pushed it in the part that is still in the chamber hoping it would bit into the inside of the case for removal. No luck. Anybody have any suggestions or am I going to visit a gunsmith. Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Broken case extractor, for .223 should work OK for 222. As the internal diameter of both cartridges are the same. The only problem you might run into? Is that the 222 is a shorter in overall length.

Below is a photo of one from Brownells. But a lot of folks sell them, because .223 rifles are so ubiquitous.

p_080000441_1.jpg
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    You could make a broken shell extractor with a hacksaw and a bolt. Cut the head off, split the threaded end and use your cleaning rod with a eye patch jag to open the "V" in the extractor end (which will allow the thread to bite into the case) with the action closed, then open the action and use the rod to push the headless case.

I'm sure you can get an actual .222 and have no fitting issues.

So was this case reloaded many times?
  • Options
    BUCKAWHOBUCKAWHO Member Posts: 966 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I quit using Rem-UMC ammo for just that reason. Too many case head separations, even on previously unfired factory shells. BT
  • Options
    navc130navc130 Member Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    A round rat tail file twisted CAREFULLY into the case may work. A tap threaded into the BRASS ONLY will work. Push out with a rod from the muzzle.
  • Options
    mrbrucemrbruce Member Posts: 3,374
    edited November -1
    Fill the case with Devcon and let it set up, and just drive it out...
  • Options
    260260 Member Posts: 1,134
    edited November -1
    clean the chamber of any oil. take a cleaning rod with tight fitting patch. insert from muzzle end just short of case. fill chamber with cerrosafe. let cool and punch out.
    15 min fix
  • Options
    groundhog244groundhog244 Member Posts: 55 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    Thanks to all you folks for the different suggestions. Again wd-40 soak over night did the trick. Lew
  • Options
    Don McManusDon McManus Member Posts: 23,489 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Broken shell extractor is your best bet, though I have successfully used a boresnake when I had a case separate at the range one morning.

If you have a 22/223 boresnake, it is worth a try before spending any money.
    Freedom and a submissive populace cannot co-exist.

Brad Steele
  • Options
    Mr. PerfectMr. Perfect Member, Moderator Posts: 66,317 ******
    edited November -1
    You could also try spraying the case with some liquid nitrogen to loosen it up. Just make sure the rifle is at room temp or above first. They sell small bottles of liquid nitrogen for wart removal. No better wart to remove than a broken shell casing.
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    And fiery auto crashes
    Some will die in hot pursuit
    While sifting through my ashes
    Some will fall in love with life
    And drink it from a fountain
    That is pouring like an avalanche
    Coming down the mountain