In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Scope for AR-10

BlackPowderJamBlackPowderJam Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
ArmaLite AR-10 TAC 16" I would like to know which scope you would recommend, I would be using it at 300 yards and under, bad weather,durable etc. Price does not matter, but - that said why but an over kill scope on it, right. Thank you for your time.

Comments

• Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,087 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    4X or 7X tops? I mean it's 16" in scout rifle range.
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    2.5-10x NightForce NXS, or Vortex Viper PST. You will never have to worry about it again. Put it in Good Rings, like the NightForce Rings. You will not need to lap the rings then if you are mounting them on a solid rail.
  • Options
    GrasshopperGrasshopper Member Posts: 16,753 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    As above, don't skimp on rings.
  • Options
    nononsensenononsense Member Posts: 10,928 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    BlackPowderJam,

Given your parameters, I might suggest limited power scopes due to the lack of yardage you claim. But, as in most situations, I find myself just trying other yardages to see if I can manage good groups at longer ranges. For me, there is nothing worse than being limited by under-powered scopes when I really want to step out a little further if needed.

If you take some time, there are dozens of reviews of scopes suited to the .308 Win. in the AR platform. You can have choices from the tiny red dot scopes up and including the best of the long range Competition scopes. I really don't see you mounting a 40x power scope on an AR10 rifle but you might consider:

Nikon M .308 Tactical Scope w/BDC

http://www.goodgamehunting.com/best-scope-for-308/

https://www.dailyshooting.com/best-scope-for-ar-10/

http://deerhuntingfield.com/best-scope-for-ar-10/

https://bestar15scope.org/top-ar-10-scopes/

This has consistently and repeatedly been the top selection of scopes for both the .308 Win. and the AR10 platform rifles. It's not expensive comparatively, yet it will stand up to the types of abuse hunters can put on their rifles when tramping through the woods or wading through swamps. The reticle is set up specifically for this cartridge. It has the magnification range to make use of the .308 Win. cartridge when you decide to use the slightly longer range 175 grain bullets.

Other than this scope, I can agree with the Nightforce and the PST for your stated needs. Both are excellent scopes which will stand you in good stead for anything you might want to do within your goals.

Best.
  • Options
    bman940bman940 Member Posts: 3 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    I have been using Nikon's M-308 since it first showed up. I have harvested over 10 deer all 1 shot stops with the furthest shot being a KS doe at just over 400 yards. I used the BDC reticle and Niikon's Spot On Ballistic Program to get the best down range accuracy I can. I have shot steel plates to 700 yards on a few occasion's and always big fun. I again used the BDC reticle and Spot On. I have the M-308 scope mounts which have 20 MOA built into them.

[img][/img]http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd363/bman940/M-308/IMG_5226.jpg
  • Options
    spiritsspirits Member Posts: 363 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On my first AR I used a mount, Chinese made 26/30 mm off of ebay, that fit the M4 upper receiver (1 in 7 twist with 5.56X45mm NATO chamber) with an old Nikon Monarch 3X9X40 with Butler Creek scope covers. Shot it at 50 yards to zero and followed up with 25 yards and 100 yards using Sierra 70 gr Semi-Spitzers reloads and the accuracy was 5 in 1 inch groups using shooting sticks and sitting down - impressive; and I felt more comfortable shooting that way than trying to shoot from a bench rest. Shot one 8 pt deer - neck shot at 40 yards - dropped in place and bullet didn't exit neck. I've been using another AR with the same scope and reloads for turkeys - junction of the neck with body shots work.
  • Options
    TfloggerTflogger Member Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I've been using a Vortex 2-7 on a 358 winchester lightweight carbine for a year.
    It is a good and durable scope.
  • Options
    rsnyder55rsnyder55 Member Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    On my 16" Sig 716, I put on a 30mm 1.5x6. This seems to cover most of the ranges I shoot at without adding a lot of bulk. On my 20" REPR, I put on a larger higher power scope because it is larger and heavier and more for shooting from a bench than carrying.
  • Options
    MobuckMobuck Member Posts: 13,793 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Be advised the BDC features might not match the actual trajectory of your ammo from your short barrel.