In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Broke the 1911

mjrfd99mjrfd99 Member Posts: 4,556 ✭✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
1980 series 70 Colt. Broke the collet /finger barrel bushing. I've read about their failure but this pistol shot dead on with it so I never changed it. I have replaced -slide stop/broke - firing pin/peened over by hammer and stuck- extractor/broke.
All before the bushing failure. Maybe 20k rnds on the 1911
Tried an old solid bushing I had but now the accuracy is not where it was. Yeah the barrel rattles a bit in it. Don't carry this much anymore so I think back to a collet bushing.
Thoughts?
BTW how hard to "fit" barrel and solid bushing or are fitted barrel and bushing purchasable and drop in?
l1rNvUrl.jpg

Comments

• Options
    p3skykingp3skyking Member Posts: 25,750
    edited November -1
    It's well within the ability of the hobby gunsmith to fit a bushing with the right material and know how.

If you don't use the gun for protection, go back to the collet, but buy two.
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Check with the CS techs at Brownell's. Believe they carry over sized gunsmith fit 1911 parts. Definitely not drop in though.

Problem is that a gunsmith fit over sized barrel. Would not only be over sized at the bushing. But at the chamber end, hood, locking lugs etc. You don't want to go there, unless you absolutely have to.

That said. I would check your loads, for being way to hot. Been shooting 1911's, since the 60's. Broken slide stop/extractor/peened firing pin. Screams like a steady diet, of red line over pressure hand loads to me.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by p3skyking
    It's well within the ability of the hobby gunsmith to fit a bushing with the right material and know how.

If you don't use the gun for protection, go back to the collet, but buy two.

It's actually easier to order the correct bushing and install it.

This requires VERY accurate measuring, but no fitting.

http://www.egwguns.com/bushing-faq

EDIT: +1 on the relieving of hard inside corners. It's amazing that 1911/1911A1 run as well as they do, for as long as they do, with all the nice hard intersections (stress risers).

I spent well over 30 years releasing drawings with BASE on each and every one. (Break All Sharp Edges)
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks for the advice!
  • Options
    Bill DeShivsBill DeShivs Member Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Guys, it's a stock collet bushing.
    All he needs to do is buy another one and stick it in.
    They are "self-fitting" to the existing barrel.
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Thanks Forgemonkey . you again Told this owner What he needed to do but not only what to do but why to do it along with your great pictures to show an example don't let your head swellbut we thank you
    Praise the Hard-Ball Gun. AKA 1911 Colt
  • Options
    edited November -1
    All good stuff guys! Thank you
    This Colt has been used and probably abused. I thought 20k rnds but Now looking back it's much more over 37 yrs.
    Started reloading shortly after I bought it - maybe I made hot ammo in the past.
    Yes I shot/shoot the commie steel in it. When ammo was $$$$$ I bought a bunch.
    Bought a new collet - installed - will see if it shoots spot on again.
    Again thank you!!!![:)]
  • Options
    sandwarriorsandwarrior Member Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    What a great thread. We always wonder about the little things that can be done to make a 1911 run better. I've always had luck with mine, but I've shot friends' 1911's that amaze me still![:D]

Thanks forgemonkey for the info and pics.