In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Spring wt. 38 Super.

cowboy77845cowboy77845 Member Posts: 316 ✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
I notice the Colt 38 Super has a 16 # spring. If one shoots +P, is an 18# spring better?

Comments

• Options
    SP45SP45 Member Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Depending on you specific load. I like to use the heaviest spring that will still function reliably. I will go up in spring weight until it is to strong and then back off. I did this on my 10mm 1911 when I went from the two spring system to one spring.
  • Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I like to use the heaviest spring that will still function reliably. +1. I start high and grind down to fit.
  • Options
    iceracerxiceracerx Member Posts: 8,860 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Since the 14# spring was stock for the 38 Super and you or someone has changed to the 'stock' spring weight for a 45 ACP, I doubt that a 38 Super has the energy to cycle an 18 # spring.

Perhaps Forgemonkey or someone else will post on the other effects the spring has (timing, recoil, etc)
  • Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    Hello one way to tell is if the slide stop Latches the slide back after the last shot then the slide is taking a FULL cycle and the spring is Light enough if however the slide does not Latch after the last round of the magazine is fired then the spring is too heavy Remember two different people shooting the same ammo on this test in the same pistol can have different results.people that are big and grip pistol Hard can use a spring that a light weight lady will have trouble
  • Options
    yoshmysteryoshmyster Member Posts: 21,139 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    That and depending on where the brass are landing. 15 feet out or 15 inches.