In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Lyman sight

dodge69dodge69 Member Posts: 954 ✭✭
edited July 2017 in Ask the Experts
I bought a box of odd gun parts at a public auction. Amoung the parts is a Lyman receiver sight marked 48WH, also has 035 marked on it. Where can I find out what gun this will fit?

Comments

• Options
    edited November -1
    I hate to ask this after reading all I have in the posts but,can you tell me what gun a 57MS lyman peep goes to?
    thanks weasle94
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a Lyman U38 receiver sight. Does anyone know what it fits?
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I have a lyman sight with a A on the underside. I found it was a No.2 Combination Tang Third Variation but I could not find out what gun it would fit.
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Jerry,

There should be more than just an "A" stamped on the underside of the sight base. The "A" will usually be preceded by a "1" or a "2", and indicates the improved sight with the side mounted locking lever. Lyman did not use an "A" application code.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Thanks Bert, After cleaning it off and used a magnifier I found I was looking at it wrong and it is a DA. It was on a model 94 take down 32 special according to your RED BOOK a 1915 production year. I think I have already sent you your information for your survey. When I flip it up it goes way to much forward.

book. When I flip it up it goes way to much forward
  • Options
    pip5255pip5255 Member Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    the D indicates Winchester model 94 and the A indicates locking lever according to vintage sight codes.

http://vintagesights.com/apps/blog/entries/show/4339619-lyman-sight-code

not being upright indicates the tang sight has an internal problem, I would try soaking it in a cleaner and then soak it in a lubricant, I also would work it back and forth a few times when cleaning and lubricating and it should return to normal.
    just because you could doesn't mean you should
  • Options
    Bert H.Bert H. Member Posts: 11,279 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by pip5255
    the D indicates Winchester model 94 and the A indicates locking lever according to vintage sight codes.

http://vintagesights.com/apps/blog/entries/show/4339619-lyman-sight-code

not being upright indicates the tang sight has an internal problem, I would try soaking it in a cleaner and then soak it in a lubricant, I also would work it back and forth a few times when cleaning and lubricating and it should return to normal.

In this case, the "A" does not indicate the locking lever. Lyman used both a "D" and a "DA" application code. The correct application code for the Model 1894 in 32 W.S. is the "DA".

"D" = Winchester Model 1894, 32-40 & 38-55 calibers, and Winchester Model 1892 all calibers.

"DA" = Winchester Model 1894, 25-35 WCF, 30 WCF & 32 Winchester Special calibers, Model 53, 25-20 & 32-20 calibers, Model 55 & 64, 25-35 WCF, 30 WCF & 32 Winchester Special calibers, and Model 65 25-20 & 32-20 calibers.