In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Suppressor help please

BlackPowderJamBlackPowderJam Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
I have a Osprey suppressor by SilencerCo 9mm, if I have it on a 9mm pistol running 147gr ammo it is quite. Then I put it on a threaded barrel Kel-Tec sub2000 also in 9mm running the same ammo and it does not seem to suppress it at all. Is this due to it being a longer barrel or am I doing something incorrect. Thank you

Comments

• Options
    charliemeyer007charliemeyer007 Member Posts: 6,579 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Are you hearing the crack of the bullet breaking the sound barrier due to the longer barrel?

Added Have you tried sub-sonic rated ammo in the rifle?
  • Options
    BlackPowderJamBlackPowderJam Member Posts: 142 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I'm going to try and answer your question. With the Osprey mounted on the pistol the sound is minimal and no crack, 147gr ammo. With the Osprey mounted on the Kel-Tec there just seems to be no suppression same ammo 147gr. The barrel on the pistol is 4" and the Kel-Tec is 12" could the longer barrel be the problem ??
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Generally, depending on temperature and altitude. 1100 FPS, is the magic number. I.E., if the 9mm bullet, no matter the weight of the bullet. Is leaving the muzzle at over 1100 FPS. The bullet is going to make a sonic crack. No suppressor can prevent this. Unless enough gas is bled out in the body of the suppressor, to reduce the muzzle velocity to below 1100 FPS.
  • Options
    11b6r11b6r Member Posts: 16,588 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    The longer barrel adds velocity to the 9mm bullet. As others have said- it is breaking the sound barrier. Out of the short barreled pistol, it is below speed of sound.