In order to participate in the GunBroker Member forums, you must be logged in with your GunBroker.com account. Click the sign-in button at the top right of the forums page to get connected.
Options

Is this a pre-model 24? Target?

1fisher1fisher Member Posts: 1,012 ✭✭
edited August 2017 in Ask the Experts
I think that this is a pre-model 24 (Target?). Please tell me what you can about it.

Sorry for the crappy pictures - I took these last night and I need much better light.

This gun has a 6 1/2" barrel
Right side of barrel "44 S&W Special ctg"
Left side of barrel "SMITH & WESSON"
Frame is stamped "X 25684"
Yoke is stamped "25684"
Cylinder is stamped "118013"
Barrel is stamped "118013"
Deep blue glossy finish with a little wear at the muzzle

Looking at guns on the auction side, I am guessing that the front sight blade has been replaced.

Any guesses as to value?

KZk3nxPl.jpg
ZlIyJbll.jpg
MXWTcUgl.jpg
RBFtCbMl.jpg

Comments

• Options
    perry shooterperry shooter Member Posts: 17,390
    edited November -1
    This most likely would be a Good shooter however very hard to say Value the cylinder and Barrel Came from another pistol than the frame so this will ruin any collector value But a N frame size S&w does have value as a shooter Sight is also Not original to the frame
  • Options
    rufe-snowrufe-snow Member Posts: 18,650 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    Might be your lighting or photography? But it looks like a high polish commercial reblue to me. The strawed screw heads, also don't look correct?

Is the number stamped on the butt, under the grips. Same as barrel and cylinder?

EDIT #1,

According to SCSW, it dates to the 1954/55 time frame. Prior to when there were model numbers.

From the additional photos. IMHO, going to be a hard sell at that price. See if the paint, or what ever it is? Can be removed from the screws and front sight. If you can get it off? Some Brownell's Oxpho-Blue. Would make it a heck of a lot more salable.

EDIT #2,

H.C.'s last post, rings a bell. There was a outfit, who advertised for years in the gun rags. With a do it yourself. Gold plating kit. My WAG is that what is on the screws. If so, it shouldn't be to hard to get off.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    Rufe-
    I keep thinking that it may be a re-blue - if it is, it's a nice job.

I took the grips off and the butt is numbered "118013". The "X 25684" on the frame is visible when you have the cylinder swung out.

The 2 screws on top of the rear sight are also straw colored.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    118013 is the gun's serial number, and since it appears on all major components, the gun has had no major part replacement.

The other numbers are assembly numbers, assigned to parts to keep them together during the assembly process.
  • Options
    nmyersnmyers Member Posts: 16,880 ✭✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    I just can't figure out the model. It looks like a 4th model .44 hand ejector, or a 1926 or 1950 .44 Target, but it's not. Is there a letter prefix to the serial number on the bottom of the grip frame?

I believe that the screws & front sight base are either brass or gold plated. The stocks are a modern replacement.

The photos make try to wipe my glasses, & I'm not wearing glasses. Better lit photos would help evaluate the finish.

Neal

EDIT: I think Hawk nailed it; it is definitely the Model 1950 Target, & the grips are likely correct. (See if the SN is stamped on the back of one of them.) Price is difficult to predict, especially since there may be a 'smith out there with the correct replacement screws & front sight, able to make a seamless restoration.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    If the serial number has an "S" prefix (the letter may be spaced well away from the numbers) it sure looks like a 1954 vintage .44 Hand Ejector Target, 4th Model of 1950, "pre Model 24."

What does it look like to you, Neal?

The yaller screws are not factory and the front sight ramp is not neatly installed.
  • Options
    edited November -1
    I think that Hawk got it - there is an "S" before the serial number on the butt.

The front sight ramp looks original, but the sides are either gold or brass plated. So if the gun is not original (not for collectors) but is a good shooter, is it a $500 - $600 gun?

Here's a few more pic's - still not really good, but I think they are in better light.

300EjBtl.jpg

NnMUMeQl.jpg

7l1ZJjBl.jpg

8PitJiNl.jpg
  • Options
    tsr1965tsr1965 Member Posts: 8,682 ✭✭
    edited November -1
    quote:Originally posted by nunn
    118013 is the gun's serial number, and since it appears on all major components, the gun has had no major part replacement.

The other numbers are assembly numbers, assigned to parts to keep them together during the assembly process.

The serial number of the gun is on the frame...every gun that has one. The 118013(it is NOT the serial number) number on the barrel, and cylinder are assembly numbers. THIS is not a Model of 1950 Target, or a "Pre-24 Target". The Pre-24 has a Patridge style sight.

As has been suggested it is an abortion that likely will shoot very well.
  • Options
    nunnnunn Forums Admins, Member, Moderator Posts: 36,017 ******
    edited November -1
    Right. The serial number is on the frame...ON THE BOTTOM OF THE GRIP FRAME, right where the owner stated it is.

Early Smiths had the serial numbers stamped on the bottom of the grip, the bottom of the barrel, and the rear face of the cylinder. Early Smiths did not have the serial number stamped inside the crane cut. That number, and the matching number on the crane, was there to keep the parts together during the process of building the revolver.

118013 is the serial number. Seems to me it should be preceded by a "S" or an "N" though.

X25684 and 25684 are assembly numbers and not relevant once the gun is assembled completely.
  • Options
    Hawk CarseHawk Carse Member Posts: 4,369 ✭✭✭
    edited November -1
    SCSW pictures two 1950 Targets.
    Both have red ramp front sights, which is a surprise to me, I would have expected Patridge posts.
    One has smooth target grips like the OP's.

I am thinking the gun is original except for the finish with yellow screws. Is the front ramp yellow, too? Looks like it might be in the most recent picture. They look dull, as though straw color heat treat but might be unpolished gold plate.
    There was a shop here in the 1960s that specialized in two-tone pistols. Shiny blue and nickel or gold. They were even able to mask surfaces so they could give you a cylinder with the flutes a different finish.